1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes anyone think Roe v. Wade will be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You're half correct. The right's moved on to telling people that gay marriage and civil unions will be the downfall of our American way of life if we support politicians who support those positions.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Which half am I wrong about then?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The way the arch-conservative Republicans co-opted the anti-abortion movement (which, in the beginning, they had little in common with) in the 1970s was ridiculous.

Then as always, the only real priority for the Republican Party, of course, was to make sure the rich get a lot richer. If Halliburton or some other mega-corporation operated big-money abortion clinics, the GOP would pass legislation to make abortion not only legal, but mandatory.

They knew from the beginning they were never going to really do anything about Roe vs. Wade. It was all lip service from the get-go. Grandpa Reagan was the worst, spewing "pro-life" banalities, knowing all the time he was never going to do anything substantial.

Of course, the Dems quickly followed suit, leaping on the pro-abortion side of the bandwagon and pandering to that lunatic fringe as shamelessly as the Pubes kissed up to the clinic-bombers.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, this is one of the great battles, as neither side is entirely wrong.

Abortion is repugnant.

But as I've done before, I'll leave you with this:

YOU tell the women who need one, why you've decided they can't have one.

Most women outside of Evangelicaland will spit in your face.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not enough. But I do know this: They're a lot more to my line of thinking than the folks who say the baby is just a meaningless blob of cells until it ducks it's head out of the birth canal. Oh, wait ... the baby has to get its entire body out before it ceases to be a meaningless blob.

6. old_tony

No one needs an abortion.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Even those whose pregnancy threatens their lives, or who were raped?

You were born 100 years too late.

8. old_tony

OK, I'll make you a deal. I'll give you the three every 10 years that would medically save a woman's life, you give me the millions every year that won't. Deal?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What about rape victims?

10. old_tony

Same deal I offered Ben. As long as you don't stipulate that any rape victim that doesn't want an abortion has to have one. And you also have to admit that rape victims don't need them so much as want them.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, now you're accusing pro-choicers of wanting to force abortions? You're sickening on certain subjects, tony. Truly sickening.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I was in South Dakota doing some book research in the run-up to the vote on the ban. Not a single woman I spoke to there - young or old - was in favor of outlawing all abortions under all circumstances.

The thing to remember while you all argue about this is that no one wants more abortions in this country, even the people who want to make sure it remains legal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.