1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes anyone think Roe v. Wade will be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I haven't seen them (Alito & Roberts) say on the record that it should be overturned. Are you sure you have?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Remember that South Dakota didn't pass the law. It failed, 56-44.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thanks, habeas Corpus.

(Do you watch Harvey Birdman? They mention you in the theme song).

To me, when I support a political party or politician, all I ask is, "Don't make me look stupid for supporting you." Bush has not held up that end of the bargain for people.

And if the GOP were to push through justices who would attempt to strike down Roe v. wade, they would be killing their party for a very long time. Maybe some justices have come out and said things that lead us to believe that Roe v. wade might be in trouble if they ever had the chance. But the media coverage and public reaction would be devastating, both to the court and to the GOPers who support such action.

The Bushies have shown to be reckless with our rights. They have shown to be bastards who only care about themselves, with no longterm plan for this nation's prosperity.

But I simply cannot believe that when it comes down to actually attempting to set legal precedent, the GOP and its elected officials and judges are that stupid. This would be an atom bomb they can't recover from. I don't care what some of the nutwings (I like that version of the word, sounds like evil foot soldiers for Sauron or something) say.

There is absolutely no way Roe v. Wade gets overturned. They cannot possibly be that stupid.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Depen
    Depends on your definition of "on the record". If legal briefs and decisions they've written are considered on the record comments, then if memory serves correctly, yes they have.

5. Guy_Incognito

OK, I don't think so. It would have been pretty prominent in the hearings, no?

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In the case of Roberts, in the book I cited, The Nine, it mentions him saying he's personally opposed to Roe v. Wade and thinks it should be overturned.
    During the Reagan administration he wrote briefs as part of the Justice Department outlining a strategy of how to overturn Roe v. Wade.
    When asked about that during his confirmation hearings he explained that he was a lawyer, the US Government was his client so he had to write in support of their position. He also said that as a judge he'd have to view things differently than he did when he was an attorney.

7. Guy_Incognito

That sounds right.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[blue]Yes, because if you believe life is sacred, you definitely are a wingnut.[/blue] ::)

9. Guy_Incognito

And the left throws around fears of it being overturned far, far more than the right holds it out as a possibility.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

OK, then answer me this, tony. What has the Republican Party done for you in the anti-abortion fight? What meaningful legislation has it passed? What has it done for you, except pander?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The right's been pitching an overturn as a campaign ploy to gin up the base, for decades.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Ding, ding, fuckin' ding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.