1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a great SE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, May 11, 2007.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

What does motivate them? If it is getting to the end of the day, I don't think there is much you can do.

2. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

Riddick, sounds like it's still all about you you you -- APSE awards and moving up in the food chain may be YOUR goals, but those things have little to do with making "my section and my staff reach their full potential."

What are your writers' goals? What about those of your desk? And why are you rating your success based on how others in the industry regard you? Triple crowns are great, but c'mon, APSEs tend to based as much on reputation (even faded reputation) as on performance.

Spnited is on exactly the right track -- your success comes from your staff taking the section where you want it to be. That requires you to come up with a plan and communicating that plan to your staff, one person at a time, emphasizing the skills that person can bring to accomplishing the goal. (E4 would call this leadership, and he would be right.)

Developing people is an admirable trait, but it's not the primary goal. If development doesn't serve your goal, you're wasting your time. That sounds mercenary, but you should know by now that time is your most valuable asset and you should protect it zealously.

And if, after giving them a fair shot, people don't or won't buy into your goal, your job is to run them off and get someone in that spot who will contribute. That's leadership, too.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wow! some of that was a tough pill to swallow, but thanks Basil. Really glad I started this thread. Tons of useful info.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

What's your APSE, or any award for that matter, got to do with how well you do your job as an editor?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

True.

If you can afford stability, developing people may not be the primary goal. But if the pay isn't so great, it is advantageous to have high turnover of promising people rather than stuck-there lifers. If you have a reputation for developing talent, top young talent keeps coming your way eager to be developed, and that benefits the product.

6. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

A section that is the sports authority for its community and respected by those purchasing it could be considered a good section, although that may not be an APSE section. So that probably doesn't count.

7. The biggest thing with me is don't ever lie. Say you don't know. Say you can't tell me. Say it's none of my fucking business. But lie and I lose all respect for you permanently...
    [/quote]

For me, this is the most important thing. My last shop had a guy who would look you in the eye and bullshit you. And that is the No. 1 reason why it was my last shop and not my current shop. I cannot work for someone that I do not trust or respect. Leadership and whatever else all starts with honesty.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Ditto on the Babcocks. You set the tone. You work your ass off, and people will (generally) follow. They can't complain, because they see you putting in the work.

And, most nights, I thank my reporters for their hard work. I don't have to do it. They should be working hard. But it doesn't cost me anything and you can tell they appreciate it.

Also, you have to keep in mind that different people have different agendas. Some aren't as driven as others. Some aren't as talented. Some want it more. It's like any other team. You try to put people in positions where they're comfortable and where they can best help your team.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What I try to do with my interns and full-time reporters is take a look at what each one can bring to the table. What are their strengths, weaknesses, etc.? Then I try to figure out how I can make each person better. Beyond that, I also try to let everyone know they can come to me with any concerns or what have you. When the reporter I hired won a MDDC Press Association award, I was genuinely happy for him. When the stringer I have won an award, I was genuinely happy for him.

I try to foster an environment where people know I'm pulling for them and I want them to succeed in this business. I try to let people know what they can improve upon, but I also try to let them know when they've done great work. If it's sending a lengthy e-mail with detailed feedback to one person or it's a phone conversation in which I'm telling a story from my own experience to help illustrate a point I'm making, I try to get something across that will benefit the people who work for me.

I also try to create an atmosphere where people think for themselves and show initiative. Those are the people who do well in this business in my opinion.

10. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

What doesn't make a good SE? How about a guy who goes on vacation the week of the state track championships and when we have teams in the state softball tournament leaves us shorthanded. Sorry I just had to vent.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, so you have some issues with your sports editor? Just a guess?

12. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Communicate. Talk to your guys. Find out what's going on in their lives too, beyond just doling out the assignments.
    Contribute: Don't just assign and expect. Do your part when things get busy.
    Fight for your guys: fight for space, or assignments or whatever. Back them to the boss and back them to the public.
    Fight with them too: debate. And barnstorm. And be the devil's advocate.
    Listen to them. If they have concerns, they're probably valid.
    Circulate in the community. If you're the face of the department or the guy who makes the decisions, people should know who you are. Get out from behind the desk and go to events, even as a fan. And go to the banquets and present the plaques and make the speeches: There's a pr component to the job, especially in a small town.
    Give your guys some leeway: Rather than pile on the assignments. Do this and this and this and this and if you have time, you might do this doesn't work. Give guys a little time and the luxury of pursuing something they want to do.
    Delegate: If you're not there, you're not there. Don't micromanage and don't second guess.
    Be loyal to your guys: to management, to sniping newsroom types, to bitching readers. Your guy is right. Or that's his point of view and that's what he's written and it's in the paper so we stand behind it.

Draft saved Draft deleted