1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes a Great Bar?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Nothing makes a guy prouder.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

So true. Those cardboard coasters are hard to write on and don't fold up neatly into your pocket.

50 percent of the time those napkins turn out to be useful documents; the other 50 percent of the time, you're thinking "Goddammit, I was drunk last night."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the perfect bar would be any place that Mike Royko was willing to visit:

I wonder what he thought of Elaines.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He didn't like it at first, but then he came back with Breslin and liked it a lot.

(Bottom pp 53 to top 54)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=kOkCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=mike+royko+at+elaines&source=bl&ots=71-GzUM7ap&sig=15WqOtLAwomP08zjvqkWY21uMAw&hl=en&ei=T8j3Tb2sOo-v0AHFpb2PCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

5. joe

joe Active Member

Booches.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A place that comps your Cokes if you are the DD or just not in the mood that night.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This reminds me of my old bar....story time:
    I drank...a lot....from 21 to about 25...and got the body to prove it's seen it's share of brews.
    For a good part of two years, prior to getting married, this was my schedule with a crew of about 4-6 people:
    Wednesday nights was Tequila Night at a bar I didn't work at in which they handed out money to people according to numbers drawn from a a bag of ping pong balls
    Thursday was "Diaper Night" (18 and over allowed in) at the bar I worked at. So there was always young tail to chase (and buy drinks for, I buy a Jack & Coke double tall, they get a Coke and we go in the bathroom and split it up)
    Friday there was always a house party or else just bar hopping
    Saturday I DJ'd and drank for free then stayed at the bar til sunup, watch the sun rise over the lake from the deck and go to McD's for eggs and hash browns
    Sunday was pitcher of beer and a frozen pizza for 5 bucks at a biker bar
    Monday's was Thai food, beer and Monday Night Raw
    Tuesday was our day of rest...go hang at my bar, play trivia on those electronic blue boxes you can find just about anywhere and drink homemade cherry cokes (with those fake candy cherries included)...all for the price of whatever tip you left.

Man, I miss that bar. Main owner died of cancer a few years after I left town and his wife finally sold it.
    The bar was so popular, they made a facebook page for it...then had a reunion for the "bar flys" two summers ago. It was well attended.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Spikechiquet's liver was great in The Client.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Its in Hartford's West End. If you're ever in CT, holla at your boy.

http://www.thehalfdoorhfd.com/

P.S. TVs are for Rugby and soccer.

Oh, and how can we ever forget McSorely's in NYC? Oldest continuously active pub in the City. I had heard the health department made the owner take down all the wishbones from the chandelier because of all the dust accumulation. He didn't have the heart to throw them out, so he took them home. (They were in memory of servicemen who never came home).

Haven't been there in a while...Will have to check that out.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

http://goo.gl/maps/gs1J

25 oldest bars in America. Didn't realize one of them was in the town I just moved from! Derp!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly (and given we were doing a drinking/walking tour of the city, I might not be), there's a bar around the corner from the Bell In Hand Tavern that also claims to be the oldest bar in Boston.

We stopped for a drink at Bell In Hand and as we were leaving somebody spotted a sign down a cobblestone street advertising another "oldest bar in Boston." To cover our bases, we had a drink there too.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

My state boasts one member of that list, but the menu at Newport's White Horse Tavern is just a little out of my league.

Draft saved Draft deleted