1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes a Great Bar?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I thought about this when Jones first posted a thread about Elaine's. What makes a great bar?

Here are some thoughts off the top of my head:

- It always has a crowd, but it's never too crowded to get a seat at the bar

- It has long time bartenders, who work regular shifts. They know you, greet you by name, and know your drink.

- They have Guinness on draft and know how to pour it. They also have several other good beers on tap.

- They either program their own music -- never too loud -- or they have a great juke box with songs ranging from Sinatra, Elvis, the Clash, Motown, and more. They've never had a DJ.

- If they have food, it has a limited menu, is served from a small kitchen, and features a great burger.

- If you tip well, you get a buyback every few drinks.

- They know you and trust you well enough to not make you hand over your credit card to open a tab.

- Drinks & draft beer are always served in a glass and never, ever a plastic cup.

- They have a wide variety of whiskey.

Add your own thoughts or comment on mine.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cheap beer and loose women.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

- darkness.
    - customers get calls on the bar's phone.
    - fights almost break out occasionally, but never do.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whores.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Impressive, Yank. Brought back some memories.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

An expertly poured beer.

Learn to do it right or get somebody who knows.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Good thread...agree with all so far.

No. 1 for me: No smoking allowed. Mainly because I've gotten used to it since my college days and like not having the hangovers I used to get due to being a non-smoker inhaling that junk.

Another good thing to have...at least one knowledgeable bartender that doesn't need a book to make a mixed drink that doesn't have the booze in the name and they know the difference between a lager, an IPA and a stout.

Also, my perfect bar would have the scene from "Coyote Ugly", but instead of when someone asks for water, if they ask for a light beer, they will just get sprayed with water.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is true everywhere but New Orleans.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Even a good New Orleans bar will serve you your drink in a glass, but offer you a "go cup" if you want to leave with it.

But, we can make an exception for anywhere you can walk out into the street with your drink.

Sadly, the no plastic cup rule will likely rule out most college bars.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I like a bar in which they serve hard drinks for men who want to get drunk fast, and they don't need any characters around to give the joint "atmosphere."

Draft saved Draft deleted