1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good track photo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, May 27, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he deserved to for only wearing one sock.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another day in paradise. At work, 6:30 a.m., Memorial Day. Lovely.

So to answer your question, yes, this is part of the country is white. But the class I cover has more of the mid-size schools in more rural areas, whereas the large class has big-city schools, where the racial breakdown is more even; well, as even as you can get considering the demographics of this state.

But there weren't 100% white athletes Saturday. Here's a kid from the Seacoast, a native of Ethiopia. Interestingly, there are a lot of adopted Ethiopians who live in this state. As for Billy's comment on the girl on the ground ... yeah, it's not so much that the photo is world class. Just thought I'd throw it in there. And that pole vaulter didn't clear the bar, but he barely knocked it over, strange as that photo might seem.

[​IMG]

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Our photog had a great shot Saturday from our state meet. Kid (local) is going for in improbable win in the 300 hurdles. His two biggest competitors hit hurdles and he's got a clear shot at the win. He hits the last hurdle and falls. He then crawls on hands and knees over the finish line. He's got a great expression on his face, and you see the blurry legs of the people who pass him. Great heads-up work.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The photos are great, and its nice to see the state imported one black runner for the track meet.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She was on the regional Fox Sports Net this weekend when she won the CIF SS Masters track meet. Not that I TIVO'd it or anything.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Best track moment/photo I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was watching it on TV.

Check out dad's outfit -- think the son was sponsored by Nike?

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Nice hair.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I always found reaction photos are good, as long as they tell a story not just someone crying for crying's sake.

Liked the hurdle photo. I usually get the straight ahead photo.

Defnitely have to watch the balls and bush shots. Pole vault and high jump I've found are the hardest to shoot because you never know which angle an athlete is going to take going over the bar.

10. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Nice job on the photos... I liked the hurdling ones and the apparently "drunk" girl. I covered/shot a track meet last weekend. It was kind of my first time shooting track. Let me know what you think of a couple of my shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Hey JLaff, thanks for posting. First reaction to your photos -- the backgrounds are too cluttered. You've captured great action, but in both photos there is a distracting image in the background. Just try to imagine your pole vaulter with no flag behind him and the long jumper with no judge behind her. Those would be more compelling, IMO.

The first trick of good sports photography is learning how to freeze action and capture compelling moments. It's obvious you've done this. The next trick is to find unique angles and locations from which to shoot. It's not as easy as it sounds, but once mastered, can lead to some very cool photos.

Good luck!

12. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Thanks. I'm really more of a writer than I am a photographer. I'm stringing for a local weekly paper while I'm home from college. I'm usually doing photo and writing at the same time... is this normal for anyone else at weeklies?

Draft saved Draft deleted