1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good track photo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, May 27, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I like the hurdle shot because not everyone thinks to get a photo on the turn, and also because the one dude in the back appears to be powerwalking.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

There is no way this guy didn't land on the bar.

3. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I enjoy track, but I also don't like spending 6 or more hours covering it. As one writer in the state once said, "The only thing worse than track is field." As for an actual opinion on the photos, I like to see the reaction shots. All we ever get is the standard running stuff, and there's normally good, dramatic reaction after a tight race.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just make sure balls aren't popping out of shorts.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I like the photos. And, I covered plenty of prep and college track meets in my day.
    But, something struck me. And, it probably has a lot to do with the demographics of where I once covered prep track.
    But, that is the whitest track meet I've ever seen.
    Anyone else notice?

6. KP

KP Active Member

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I noticed the "whiteness" of it and I also figured it must have been held in Mohawk Valley. I thought having hair like that was to make someone "different" or promote a person's individuality. If everybody has a Mohawk, how is anybody being different?
    Damn, I'm getting old .....

8. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Covered the meet of champions in Songbird's state a few years ago, and a mixed-race kid blew away records in the 100 and 200, prompting the (white) girl in front of me to marvel to her (white) friend, "and he's only half black!"

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Be careful about shooting high jump photos. I shot at the state championships a few years back and the official at the high jump told me to shot from in front of the high jump bar. I got some good shots, but on the girl's high jump, a girl from a local school was trying to win her third state title, so I took most of my photos of her. When I got them back on the computer to crop and clean them up in Photoshop, I discovered she didn't ware any panties below her shorts. A couple of the photos showed her bush. Lesson learned, watch the angle you shot from.

10. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Dear Penthouse Forum,
    I never thought I'd be writing a letter like this ...

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Which one of them were winners?

The winner makes the best photo, if you have equal great photos.

But the girl on the ground does nothing for me.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

What makes a good track photo?

Allison Stokke

*ducks*

Draft saved Draft deleted