1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good sportscast?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eddie_Vedder, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Could not agree more! Amen.

In fact, sports at 6 should be all of about a minute on most days.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wait. Forgot one more.
    The ability to speak without sounding like you are reading off the teleprompter. Most of the sports staff at the peacock affiliate here can't do that -- especially the woman who thinks "Saban" must be preceded by "coach" every damn time she mentions his name.

3. blueview

blueview Member

Please, sportscasters, do not act all smug and use unintelligible phrases about a routine play that make you think you own the nightly news. Just give me the damn score.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One of our local stations recently showed stock footage of a local juco basketball team ... that was TEN YEARS OLD! We knew because a long-departed writer of ours was shown in the background and he had hair!

5. Shootist

Shootist Guest

Get your pronouns right. TV and radio people struggle with this.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If we could only get our pronouns right, ratings would go through the roof.

7. Shootist

Shootist Guest

I'm just saying, if you're going to be a person who speaks professionally, you should at least master the fundamentals of your language.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think if you are a local tv station, you really have a tough job. You need to please the local people who are looking for the American Legion score or the local high school girls soccer team, but you also need to realize that there are professional sports fans watching as well.

Case in point. I was in Binghamton, NY a few years ago, and I was with a true Yankee fan. We meet for breakfast in the morning and I asked him how the Yankees did the night before. This was in August and the season was starting to come down to the wire. He responds back, "I have no idea, but Johnson City beat the hell out of Vestal. They have a heck of a Legion team."

We cracked up. I think it was a three minute sportscast, and 2:57 was spent on local and :03 was spent on the pros.

"Johnson City has a hell of a team," would always crack either of us up.

Draft saved Draft deleted