1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good sportscast?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eddie_Vedder, Jun 28, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yes, we are. I didn't even know he had a brother in sports TV.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Scores on a crawl at the bottom are fine, some highlights, and a local event whether its a prep meet or an unusual sporting event, indoor rock climbing, water skiing, Scottish Games etc.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I just looked it up, it's Harvey Smilovitz. The locals never warmed to him. I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea to send his less talented brother to NYC. I swear, I moved to the NYC area from CT and there was another Smilovitz doing local sports. I thought they were stalking me.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

First and foremost, you need tape of animals on water skis and skateboards.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

You should have a Sports Machine like George Michael

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Mute button.

7. Speedway

Speedway Member

The more local the better - who needs the national news and scores from the local news sportscast when there are so many other outlets.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Do not waste my time at 6 p.m. Tuesday with highlights from Monday night.

And really don't waste my time at 10 p.m. Tuesday with highlights from Monday night.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet... we've got highlights!

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Look for things other places don't have. Originality's a good thing.

11. ned racine

ned racine Member

its tough to do it all in the 3 1/2 to 4 minutes they give you....thanks or no thanks to sportscenter and the internet,most people who care about the pacers-hawks or royals-d rays on a tuesday already have the score...so dont waste time with the scoreboards......
    i do think you should lots of highlights of the local pros and college majors in your area...throw in the big national story and some great video and there is the majority of the show...
    i do think a succesful show should have something in it that is memorable...whether its a blooper or whatever...remember only about 20 percent of the people who watch the news care about sports..so give them something to remember.....
    so what if bernie did not make it new york....if scott clark or len berman was overhyped and came to detroit or another city,who knows how long they would last....bernie was also just a smalll part of one of the worst newscasts in NYC history...when Bernie got axed so did other on air people too....part of Bernies problem was he was hyped as the "NEXT GREAT THING"...people expected way too much.....he is much better than tons of sportscasters in bigger markets..i mean guys like Jim Hill (LA)..Gary Papa(Phila)..Tim Brant(DC)...those guys blow and are boring stiffs

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I agree. Get off your ass during the day and go down to the shoot-around and get me an advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted