1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good sportscast?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eddie_Vedder, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

When it comes to local TV news, what makes for a good sports segment? I'd like to hear from the print people as well as broadcast.

For me, it's telling them something they didn't know before. Breaking news. Making the viewers feel like if they watch someone else instead of you, they will miss out on new information. Everyone will show the MLB highlights, etc. Give them something that sets you apart. Give them new news.

That's my opinion. I'm looking forward to the smart-ass answers as well as the real ones....

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actual highlights of current events; avoid the tired old shtick of "We've got highlights" and show 20-year-old blooper reel...

3. don't giggle

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Don't try to be "Sportscenter."

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Pretty ladies in tiny clothing ... giggle ...

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think it's something that's built over time. People have to know you'll consistently have something the other guy (or the newspaper) does not. And that can't be accomplished with a single sportscast.

It usually takes a lot of time on the phone, a lot of time in the field, good photographers, good reporters, good editors, a good producer, good graphic artists, good interns... So you need a team of people working on a sportscast for it to be good. It's not just about highlight delivery anymore.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Cliched catch-phrases.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Didn't Bernie get run out of Buffalo because "he had highlights?" And the "Weekends at Bernies?"

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know his return to NYC lasted about as long as Rob Parker's because he had highlights

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Oh it was NYC, eh? I wasn't sure. For some reason I thought it was Buffalo. I do know it was short lived, very short lived.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you guys talking about Bernie Smilovitz?

My Lord did he suck. His brother in Hartford wasn't much better.

Draft saved Draft deleted