1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes a Good Sports Columnist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 22, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great posts Frank and da man. I particularly agree with da man's take on a good columnist having to be a good reporter. However, I've noticed that not many good reporters make good columnists. I believe some folk are better at regurgitating information than they are giving opinion.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I would agree with that. And even more precisely -- there are many outstanding reporters who are not outstanding wordsmiths, and many outstanding wordsmiths who are not outstanding reporters.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That people pick up the paper and want to read the columnist everyday.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think that sums it up right there.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

On the flip side, what about using "you?"

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've found that many use it as a crutch and to be honest, it's just like talking in the first person.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good thoughts already. Let me add: Discernment. That follows good reporting to some extent, but I like a columnist who knows when to pull the trigger on a sharply critical column, and doesn't pull the trigger too often.

Which leads me to this: I'm frankly skeptical of columnists who spend too much time on TV or radio. Those mediums demand, to some extent, that new controversies crop up each day, that every line from a coach's mouth that isn't "just so" be scrutinized, that arguments be created where there really aren't any. It degrades the power of warranted criticism. It's hurt our media conversation overall.

Columnists who don't give a rip about how they're viewed by players and coaches suddenly start worrying about Twitter feedback and winning on-air arguments with callers and co-hosts. They start thinking "how can I move the needle today?" The needle, in a columnist's world, doesn't need to be moved every day. The needle needs to be on point right when the time calls for it. Radio and TV -- especially radio -- erodes that sixth sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted