1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good journalism resume?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sunflower100, Mar 1, 2012.

1. sunflower100

sunflower100 New Member

I'm rediscovering this group, and thought I'd throw a question out there. I've been a reporter now for about three years, following a four-year career in PR (weird, I know).

But while I could point to specific, measurable accomplishments in my PR career, I'm not sure how to formulate my current resume to show that a) I'm good at my job, b) I have 21st Century skills and ideas and c) the impact my stories have had.

Does anyone have advice on what makes a good - no, great - journalism resume? I'm not convinced my resume does the trick.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Journalism isn't like the real world. We don't use business language. So crafting a resume that might work in PR won't fly for journalism.

To show you are good at your job, you can list any awards.

To show the impact you can say that your story on political corruption led to the resignation of three council members, etc.

In other words, give specific examples, not buzzwords.

And your clips will do most of your heavy lifting.

So be basic. List your job(s) and your duties. If you have awards or specific results, list those. And be sure to include experience or expertise in video, web stuff, etc.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

List your various skills from photography and page design to web updating and video work. If you don't have these skills, find a way to develop them.

4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Good clips.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Show that you have the ability to bend over, grab your ankles, and take it like a good soldier.

Being able to smile and say, "Yes, that feels good." Helps as well.

Kidding aside, solid pointers from everyone so far.

6. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

It's not just about what is in your resume, but how it looks. You want a prospective employer to know that you are creative and design-conscience by just looking at your resume, and then from reading it. Show them that you put more though into it than just using Microsoft Resume Wizard.

Just as important, if not more important, is the cover letter. It's your chance to make a good first impression, get them excited to read your resume and your clips and show them that you are a good writer.

I have gotten a number of interviews for jobs that my resume didn't really warrant at the time because they liked my cover letter so much. Didn't always turn into a job offer, but it at least made them interested enough to pick up the phone and call me.

Draft saved Draft deleted