1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good ball photo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't exactly agree with that sentiment, to put it kindly. I suspect I'm not alone.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just got back from 2 indoor baseball practices. It's sunny here but the fields are still soggy. One local team has no less than 10 quality pitchers. Can't wait for them to start. Two of the kids are sons of a former Red Sox pitcher, and they can bring it. Another lefty is headed to Southern Maine, another one looks like a normal teenager yet might be the hardest thrower in town.

Oh, and thanks for the kudos, all. The sport lends itself to so many moments other than the normal stock shots. I might post more later. I have a Nikon D-100, which is a fine camera, but I don't have a tele-photo lens, which means some of my action shots from far away could be somewhat grainy. I don't mind that much, though.

Normally I'd like a ball in the photo, but that rule isn't set in stone. A good shot is a good shot, ball or not. I want to do a book or 5 of my baseball photos. When I retire ...

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Xan,

The Kudos are well deserved. Those are quality photos.

4. Songbird

Thanks, Dirk.

This kid from northern New Hampshire plays varsity. He lost an arm after a dirtbike accident, but played less than a year after amputation. He got a base hit here.

[​IMG]

5. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

If you don't mind my asking, what school does the amputee kid play for?

6. Songbird

White Mountains.

7. Songbird

Great shot, Bob. Outstanding shot.

I know what you mean about the press guys fucking things up after we provide the goods. They have one damn job and they can't get it right. Can't tell you how many times it's happened to me. Bums me out the entire day.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, you know it's not going to be a good day when you walk into work and the SE/ASE/AME/CE says "Now, before you get all pissed off..."

9. Thanks, Songbird. You've posted some top-notch stuff here on this thread, so kudos to you as well.

The thing about the press that pissed me off the most is that at my old rag, I got color maybe six times a year. That was it. The day I took this photo I happened to know in advance that I would have color for the next sports section, so I was pumped. I got back, played this photo big along with some other average to above-average art and waited for the awards to roll in. The only problem was the guys at the press totally ass fucked my pages. Not a single copy of the paper was usable as a tear sheet for either my resume or an association contest ... and I checked them all.

<sigh>

10. Songbird

The local daily has unbelievable photogs to whom I bow many days. They have expensive equipment. Their lenses cost two times more than my camera.

Last year a guy took one shot I loved: dusty day, middle innings, pitcher throws a fastball. Catcher's left arm is extended, ball in mitt that is snapped shut, and emanating from the glove are plumes of dust puffing and poofing in all directions. It was great.

Bob, with today's technology there's really no excuse for poor registration. We went from Panther for pre-press to a system where you can send out entire pages for the press guys to do the registration lining-up, or whatever they do. How bloody hard can it be to line up a page these days unless you're on drugs? Oh, wait ...

11. This was several years ago, so I'm not sure what technology we had at our disposal. Still, I just remember anxiously waiting for the truck to arrive with all the bundled copies of the paper, then suddenly wanting to stab someone in the neck when I saw the printed product. Fucking idiots.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Great photo. You can't see the ball (well), can't see the base, and yet, you really know all you need to know about what's happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted