1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good ball photo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 27, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If a GA photog comes back with a shot of a sliding play at home plate, I consider it a victory. And really, that could be handled like the third baseman ... if that's what you want to accomplish, just set up focus on home plate and wait for the action to come to you.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Baseball is my favorite sport to shoot. I try to mix up the angles every time. I always take the requisite safe shots (pitcher warming up, swinging shots) just to make sure, but I try to have fun with the camera at games. A kid's torn up sliding pants because he's spent the entire game going 5 for 5, sliding into 2nd or 3rd for doubles and triples, is kind of neat. Kids blowing bubbles in the dugout, or spitting seeds, or trying for the artsy shot. A Little League coach arguing with the ump, who shoots him a look of "If you keep arguing, dude, I'm going to gouge out your wife's eyes and skullfuck her! ... A pitcher's arms completely extended as he going into the pitch.

These are just a few examplese. I'll post more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Taylee

Taylee Member

Previous stop banned shots of players sliding into second to break up a double play and those of players diving back to first.
    At current place, we don't ban them, but strongly encourage (by not running them) that they don't be shot.
    As for what/how to shoot. Most of the better sports photogs understand the game they're shooting. If there's a runner on second and there's a single, start focusing on the catcher. Whether you're shooting from first or third base side, you could be in position for a good shot.
    A good reaction shot beats a good action shot any day.
    There's too many photogs who don't know the sport. Some say there is no need to. I counter with this caption of a grimacing pitcher that said. "Johnnie Southpaw hurls to the batter."

4. Songbird

I like shots of a batter digging out of the batter's box, in this case, after a swinging bunt.

[​IMG]

5. Taylee

Taylee Member

Was the kid bunting or swinging for the buses?

6. Songbird

Swinging for the buses!

7. Songbird

I like getting two different actions at once, like the pitcher going into his motion as the runner from first breaks for 2nd base on a steal attempt.

[​IMG]

A grandfather of a player sitting in the stands reading the Mists of Avalon

[​IMG]

A runner at 3rd gauging whether or not to break for home ...

[​IMG]

8. Songbird

Manager yanking a pitcher after a bad day on the mound ...

[​IMG]

9. Songbird

More artsy angles.

[​IMG]

10. Songbird

I like high-kick shots ...

[​IMG]

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thanks a lot for the crotch shot of spnited's younger brother...

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I always took the safety route, which isn't a bad idea:

1. Starting pitchers

2. Batters

3. Play at second or home if possible

A high school softball coach and I were friends, so she let me climb on top of the dugout to shoot. I'd shoot prone to minimize getting whacked by a foul and use a zoom for shots all over the infield. The umpires were cool about it as long as I stayed down and didn't climb up or down during an inning.

I also would line up behind first with a runner on to get the runner, first baseman and pitcher looking over. Sometimes it came out well, sometimes it all was FUBAR. But that position also gave me a shot at second base and home.

Draft saved Draft deleted