1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a good ball photo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 27, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

AP found a new favorite a few years ago.

A full body shot of the pitcher after he has given up a home run. In the background, a little out of focus, is the runner trotting from second to third during his home run trot.

Not a night goes by when that photo doesn't move.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

From the first-base dugout or thereabouts, train your lens on the third baseman. For nine innings. And be sure you have enough room to handle any dives he may make. Forty-seven percent of the time, you'll grab a killer photo.

And if you get murdered by a foul liner, sue the motherfuckers.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yep.

4. You were a hell of a ballplayer once. You want to focus on your career as an interior decorator, that's none of my business.
    But some of us still need this team. If you ever, EVER, tank another play like you did today, I'll cut your nuts off, and stuff 'em down your fuckin' throat.

5. Take your stock, safety stuff then play.

As stated, look for different angles and try and find juxtaposition in your composition (easier said then done).

A close-up of the pitcher as he delivers shot from behind and through the batter (focal point on the picture's face) can sometimes give you an attractive shot that's a bit outside the box.

I usually do nothing but follow a single field player for an entire 1/2 inning after I have several safety shots and some traditional action shots (they work, even if they are a bit dull). You never know when they might do something interesting, or give a good expression.

Faces are key. Zoom in during trips to the mound and try and capture the essence of the conversation--you may get lucky and capture players laughing, or exchanging angry words.

Shoot into the dugouts if you can. See above for why.

When a pitcher is taken out follow him until he is out of the camera's sight. You might get an anger reaction shot. The same thing goes for batters that strike out at key moments.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He is afterall better than Jordan ...

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

As far as shooting baseball goes, like the others said get the standard safety crap, then I like to focus in on the shortstop from behind the plate or just slightly down the first base path, same theory as the third baseman. If a runner gets to second I like to focus on home for the play at the plate - again try different angles. Also play with the lighting. depending on the time of day or night you can come up with some cool silhouette type shots.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

With a title like that, I can't believe this thread never went into the gutter.

Well done.

9. Milo Bloom

Milo Bloom New Member

Yeah. I was gonna mention the 'disgraced pitcher angle.' Although they throw in a little variety... sometimes the runner is between second and third, sometimes he's rounding third or halfway home.

During my first (and only) stop as a sports editor, I thought that was a great shot on my first day... By the weekend, I was convinced the same damn photog had hit every major league stadium in 7 days in some Guinness World Record attempt.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

If you were to go by what our photog gives us, you would think that there are only four possible baseball shots:
    1) Guy swinging bat
    2) Guy diving back to first
    3) Guy sliding into second/home (never third)
    4) Guy pitching

Outfielders?! Defense?! Apparently these are just peripherals when it comes to baseball.

11. moonlight

moonlight Member

Don't forget the obligatory forearm bash at home plate after a home run.

12. In fairness (and at the risk of not knowing what I talk about), if he or she is a general assignment photog, then he or she probably doesn't have time for much beyond safety shots. Someone has to shoot the stupid grin and grip at the PTA meeting, find a "cute shot representing spring," get to the that accident on highway 75 and get a nice profile shot of the spelling bee champion before the end of their shift, after all.

Draft saved Draft deleted