1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a company truly great

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mr. Dithers is a good guy and an even better company.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Poindexter just smiled and doesn't know why.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But when it's all over and they get rescued, does Hagar scream to Lucky Eddie, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!!"

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Utopia.

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

This notion dissolved with the death of small business.

6. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Many companies did what Tony Schwartz described, for many decades.

Then they were crowded out and swallowed up by deregulation, consolidation, big-box expansion and the relentless desire of the American public to own too much shit for the cheapest possible price and in the most convenient, think-proof method possible.

Now the remaining giant-sized companies must feed cash to their gluttonous overlords on Wall Street and in their Bentonville mansions. Who do you think feels the screws in that situation? We're all living it. It's so simple.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've never seen a company mission statement say alone: "We want to make money." So whatever the mission statement is, I'd say that's a good place to start. Those goals may lead to making more money, or they may not. A company could perhaps make money by placing a factory in Bangladesh. But it may also involved working conditions that run counter conventional morality. Hence the company decides against making more money to make a little less a little more honestly.

I suspect you already know this.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion and I guess it comes to how you define "great".

I can't make it through most business books but the one I have found most useful is Collins "Good to Great". He examines the characteristics that make a great company and what sustains it.

I know some corporate people who are big fans of Simon Sinek who says that great companies have to have a "why" for existing. I am not sure I agree but his theory is a good starting point of discussion.

9. Humungus

Humungus Member

fleshlight

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"What is Humungus' only outlet for sex?"

Draft saved Draft deleted