1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What lunch meats do you buy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Oct 6, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/can-you-really-be-a-vegetarian-if-you-eat-fish-766673.html

Like vegetarians who will eat fish...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My grandfather was like that. Everything had to be separate. God damn he was a pain in the ass. It's one thing if you prepare your own food, but when you're that particular and you're a retired Colonel in the army with an electrical engineering degree and you refuse to learn how to use a stove or microwave, it makes everyone around you want to smother you with a pillow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My mother always bought the Oscar Meyer brand.
    And us kids called it "goose liver."
    She served it on soft bread with mayo, cream cheese and a slice of tomatoes.
    Fart has been a fan ever since.
    It's the Hungarian in me.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't know what's more disturbing -- latent grandparent resentment issues suddenly appearing or someone referring to himself in the third person as "Fart."

A pleasant thread about processed meats has taken a dark turn.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What, you've never eaten Pimento Fartloaf? Goes great with mayo and sliced pickles.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Certain lunch meats will produce some mean fartrogen dioxide.
    Be careful what kinds you consume.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't like liver, but I used to enjoy liverwurst.
    I haven't had it in years, though. This thread has actually made contemplate getting some.

Putting mayo on liverwurst, however, is repulsive.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

When you think of liverwurst, think of Fart.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I roast beef (this week), turkey, chicken myself. What call I tell you -- it's not difficult.

I like liverwurst, but only from the local indy German butcher who makes his own. During tomato season, I eat it with tomato. Out of season, I eat it with sliced kosher pickles, cheese and heat the sandwich under the broiler. For salami (rarely), I prefer a cervalat, also made by the butcher.

Near work we have an old-school Jewish deli that brines its own corned beef, smokes its own pastrami, roasts its own beef and cuts the turkey off a whole bird for your sandwich. Expensive but worth it.

One of my grandmas was a German immigrant who used to feed me a coldcut called blutwurst. One day out of the blue not during a meal, I said, "Grandma, what does blut mean?" Not thinking, she said, "Blood." I haven't even been able to look at the fucking stuff since.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What about head cheese? I know it sounds gross but it's the ultimate where someone uses EVERY part of a pig.

And here's a recipe

http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/old_fashioned_head_cheese.htm

And Frank's Blutwurst (blood sausage) is the same as Black Pudding in Great Britain or Boudin Noir in France.

It's fabulous in any language.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Versatile, ya gotta give liverwurst a try. Keep it simple. Rye bread, mayo and liverwurst. so good. One of my favourites.

As far as other processed meats go, Honey ham, some mayo and mustard, medium cheddar cheese.

My favourite non-processed sandwich meat is leftover turkey -- white and dark -- on homemade bread with mayo and fresh cracked blacked pepper. Big on simple. so delicous. Let the meat speak for itself. Not big on the lunch meat version, but it works in a pinch.

Close behind is leftover ham, nice thick slices, with the above steps for the deli ham.

Strange, I'm not a big mayo guy, but on a few sandwiches, it is a must. I think I hit on them all right here.

Oh, and keep butter and margarine away from my sandwiches.

Draft saved Draft deleted