1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What lunch meats do you buy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Oct 6, 2013.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I do turkey (usually just oven roasted, but occasionally cracked pepper or something with some pop) or chicken (buffalo or oven-roasted). I don't like smoked flavor on the sliced deli meat.

2. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Liver wurst. Raw onions. Swiss. Mustard. On Rye. winner.

My "changup" sandwich. Once a month. Soooo tasty. So bad breath.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Once a month, my store puts its high-end garlic pepper turkey on a reasonable sale. It's worth it. Also once a month, it has a "off the bone" ham with a little fat in it that I'll buy. The fat on this ham is a better flavor than any oil, so I just offset it with some mustard on rye.

I'd get a decent bologna and have them slice it real thin. You don't even need much. Then wrap one slice inside whatever other meat you have, and it mellows out the sandwich, plus gives it a little chew that doesn't have a grain to it. Sub shops often use bologna in that way.

Slightly off topic, I make this recommendation: buy really good, expensive cheese. Splurge there. You will eat less of it in one sitting because it tastes the way it should, and it makes sandwiches better. You probably save money in long run. (Also buy a package of American singles for when you want grilled cheese that you dunk in tomato soup. Don't waste the good stuff on soup dunking or omelets).

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Whatever turkey is on sale. Sometimes the cajun turkey. The expensive roast beef. BBQ loaf. Lebanon bologna.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

My next mission is to make Subway's Sweet Onion Sauce at home.

That stuff is liquid gold on your lunch meat. Recipe is on the Interwebs.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

BJ's has very good cold cuts at affordable prices, and you can get as little as you want.

I buy the plain roasted turkey, hard salami, and occasionally corned beef and pastrami. The mild cheddar and muenster are OK, but I miss the really good cheddar cheese my local BJ's no longer carries.

7. Ham.
    Smoked. Deli. Black Forest. Virginia. Ham.
    More ham. Yes please.

I like turkey as a changeup but it seems to go bad quickly.

I abhor bologna.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Today's lunch: turkey and cheese.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So fancy. You got your M&Ms in a little dish.

Did you eat them with a spoon? Perhaps one of those mother of pearl ones that you're supposed to eat caviar with?

That would be awesome.

She doesn't like sandwiches and, as a result, we rarely buy lunch meat. I can't remember the last time we bought a package of anything.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

She doesn't like sandwiches?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Nope. Foods aren't supposed to mix in her world. So the corn has a little section of the plate, and the potatoes have another section of the plate and so forth.

Sandwiches are the ultimate food mixing item. You got bread, meat, cheese, dressing and a smallish salad in one handful.

She makes exceptions for hamburgers, but even then it is just a patty and a bun and those chicken minis from Chick-fil-A.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who am I, Mr. Pitt?

[​IMG]

Certain things don't mix with me, either: lettuce on sandwiches or burgers, peanuts in chocolate (I love peanuts, I love chocolate, but not together). Certain tastes need to be separate.

Draft saved Draft deleted