1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What little Johnny's happiness is worth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jul 16, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This just cannot be correct, right. I am assuming there are multiple teams in this fantasy tournament. Otherwise, the thought of 9 year-old playing with 18 year-olds should have been a huge red flag.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That is, until the 18-year-old pitcher drills the nine-year-old hitter in the wrist. Lawsuit baby!

3. Baron Scicluna

Maybe in this fantasy world, every kid had to wear clothing by the same manufacturer, like Nike.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is one of those SJ gifts that comes along every few years.

Lady you are an idiot. You trying to defend the indefensible.

You decided to spend $6000 to put your 9 year old on a travel baseball team. Why? What were your expectations?

At age 9 you would have gotten more out of buying a bucket of balls and having your husband do some "soft toss' with him.

For $6000 you could have run a whole league in your local park and invited some less privileged kids to play.

Next time you have $6000 laying around start a college fund for the kid. Add a grand a year and by the time he is ready for college you might have half a years tuition paid. If the gene pool is any predictor he may not be college material but at least he would have a head start on savings.

5. Baron Scicluna

Heck, as I pointed out earlier, they're in South Dakota. Put the $6K in, and add a grand a year, they'd have $15 grand. That would pay for two years tuition at a public South Dakota college.

6. Boom_70

Only $15,000 ?? They don't pay interest in South Dakota?

7. poindexter

How'd you like to be the parents of an 18 year-old, pay $6,000, and find out he is playing with a 9 year-old?

8. not ashamed

not ashamed New Member

Maybe I didn't explain the Team South Dakota team make up...There were going to be various teams: 10u, 14u, and 18u. So my 9 yr old would be playing with other boys in his age bracket.

As for made up tournaments I researched the schedule, like I stated earlier, just made the mistake of not calling them immediately. The Cocoa Beach tournament can be found at http://www.cocoaexpo.com/baseball/tournaments/int/2010InternationaleHome.htm

However, i would like to thank each of you for your attention to this matter and am glad that you are keeping up to date on the events so when this guy skips town and heads to your neck of the woods you will not fall for the same scheme because of my mistake.

Please keep your judgements to me and leave my 9 yr. old and his intelligence out of this. There is nothing like being scammed but when children are involved it is just out right despicable. I accept my fault in this and will do what needs to be done to protect others-even if it means taking the heat for a poor decision.

Once again thank you for your interest in this and please let all your friends and family know that there are guys out there that will take you for a ride even with legit documentation. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

9. poindexter

Nobody is questioning the intelligence of your 9 year old.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nice.

11. Boom_70

I really need to know. What did you see in your 9 year old baseball wise that warranted spending $6000 to send him to a baseball tournament?

12. Baron Scicluna

Unless the husband has the mental capacity of a 9 year old and she got them confused?

Draft saved Draft deleted