1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What little Johnny's happiness is worth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FWIW, I don't think spending thousands on a 9-year-old to play baseball is for little Johnny's happiness.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did you ever wonder why all the bratty youth athletes are named "Little Johnny" ?

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ya think? Oh these parents that want to live vicariously through their kids ...

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If anyone is draining their child's bank account to pay for their kid to play traveling baseball, they probably can't be trusted to make too many decisions. If you're asked to pay in cash, something is a little hinky.

There is always someone else to blame for most of these parents.

The funniest story – or saddest – is the mom who showed up at the empty stadium with her kid:

“I drained my son’s savings account [to pay Anderson],” she told Inside Dakota Sports. “My whole family went to that tournament. There was not a soul there. He humiliated me in front of my family.”

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Karate -- $1300 a year for what was a much more positive experience than anything we did in baseball. And I'm a baseball guy.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And to think, that 6 grand could have paid for a almost an enitre year's tuition at most of South Dakota's state universities:

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/sPagesOHE/TuitionChart.cfm?State=SD&pageID=653&1534-D83A_1933715A=501ac40f4d5e320a9f166dc3a8398a857ad5b553

And don't they realize the odds of making it to the majors is so slim, they're better off having the kid play high school ball and hope a college notices them (or a newspaper puts his name in for trying hard?)

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some of these kids are 9 and 10. These parents are that delusional.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, baseball is one sport where if you practice and play a lot you can get substantially better than your peers and remain among the "elite" up to and maybe through high school.

It's not like football, where size and speed are key. Or basketball where you at least need to have a great shot if you not big or fast.

But you see parents all the time pushing these kids. They play on 3 or more teams at a time, play all year, travel, etc.

And, sure, Little Johnny is a good baseball player. But a lot of these kids that are elite at 9, 10, 11 and 12 really aren't that physically gifted and are just being run by daddy into the ground.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The other side of this (and I'm not defending the parents), $5,000 to families who make even six figure incomes isn't a huge drain. They could just as easily blow it on other shit.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

True JR. Even if it's a financial burden, though, I'd submit that the time commitment will wear on everyone in the family.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Time commitment is an issue separate from delusional parents. I always figured that your responsibility as a parent was to provide opportunities where your children could excel--if they wanted to put in the effort.

I used to spend four nights a week during hockey, football and baseball season schlepping my sons to practices and games. I encouraged them but never drove them

I had no fantasies about my kids being professional athletes and then, bingo, my eldest son is now playing in the CFL

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This, well said.

Draft saved Draft deleted