1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Lee Jenkins' LeBron scoop says about our industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good point.

For some odd reason, your use of ***noise*** conjured in my mind the scene from "Airplane" when ***stuff*** hits the control tower fan. ;D

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Other than Sheridan, LeBron and SI did an incredible job of keeping the lid on this. Major props.

Or it could be a turning point in the war.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

That would be great if it comes to pass.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No way.

It's a great get by Jenkins. It's also possible that LeBron's camp didn't want ESPN to get it first because they would want to turn it into a special or televise it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why give it to ESPN? Half their people would praise the move, the other half would say it was the dumbest thing ever and he should have never turned his back on the Heat who "gave" him two rings. In the podcast I linked to above, it is mentioned that he found the criticism he received about The Decision from the network that aired it somewhat curious.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

How SI got the story: http://adage.com/article/media/sports-illustrated-lebron-james-exclusive/294096/

8. RecoveringJournalist

I like the "Trusted us not to turn it into a circus"

The thing I wonder about... ESPN hired a writer LeBron is very close with to cover him in Miami. How simple would it have been to send him to Las Vegas with LeBron? Hindsight is 20-20, but it makes you wonder.

9. SI is getting credit, but little else from this story. It won't be a turning point, since every outlet can just throw a short credit (or not) in as story, and get the web hits.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, it's a great get for SI, but there will be people who arent familiar with the business who will be saying, "Well, that's what ESPN has been saying all long..."

SI will get a ton of traffic as a result, but it's not like people have been ignoring ESPN and other sites over the last week. Hell, they led SportsCenter with it minutes after a shootout determined the World Cup semis.

If you want a show, you give it to ESPN. If you want to do something quietly, you give it to SI.

11. RecoveringJournalist

It was really perfectly done. If he announces on ESPN, people flashback to the debacle that was The Decision. If he announces on his website, it's all about self-promotion.

I'm always curious how the negotiation for an exclusive works. I had scoops during my career, but the closest I came to a negotiation was asking someone not to say it to anyone else, which was pre-Internet. I remember being on the phone with a draft pick who had just signed and while we were on the phone he said, "I have another call and it's from (a competitor) and I said, "Well, I would never tell you not to call him back, but I would appreciate it if you didn't." He laughed and then didn't call him back.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think it says that a journalist who is not going to rat out a player for a cheap tweet sometimes catches the biggest fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted