1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Lee Jenkins' LeBron scoop says about our industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Jul 11, 2014.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Really interested in thoughts about how the LeBron James Sorta-Decision-Part-2 news broke, via Sports Illustrated's Lee Jenkins.
    Now, Lee is a friend, so I'm a bit biased about this, but how eye-opening and refreshing it was to see it go down this way. The part about this that impresses and intrigues me is that Lee didn't even Tweet the news immediately when he had it, instead waiting for it to post on SI.com.
    All of the #SOURCES coming out of the national NBA writers for so long, even the reputable ones, boiled down to so little, and here comes Lee, who didn't Tweet once about LeBron - or, for that matter, any other player - during free agency, with the scoop of the year.
    Of course, Chris "Confirns" Broussard has 37 times the Twitter followers than Jenkins, so maybe Lee is "doing Twitter wrong," but doing the job right?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This was definitely a "chills up my leg," shameful moment for 99.9 percent of the media. Included in that is probably everyone except Jenkins, Sheridan and Woj.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in Lee's story about how he got he scoop. When did he know, who approached who, and how SI managed to fight the temptation to report it.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Here! Here! Well-stated, GBNF.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

The story and the reaction to it say a lot about the Journalism industry, and that goes far beyond SI vs. ESPN, and all of us enjoying Chris Broussard falling flat on his face.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That was a lot of editing.;D

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Sometimes it's just better to let the cheerleading continue as opposed to expressing actual ideas.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

You were absolutely correct in your original post regarding who actually had the scoop.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was a small victory in a losing war.

10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I think it was refreshing to see it done in essay form. Not many writers would've thought up the Miami-college parallel, but there isn't a better description of LeBron's time in Miami and the difference in maturity from 2010 to now. Kind of speaks to the idea that there isn't anyone better to explain a life decision than the person making it.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Sheridan deserves credit. His independent site had this, and never wavered.

But if Twitter is any indicator, some will bend over backwards to give Jenkins the recognition, often because . . .

And also, to be fair, because some may have missed the Sheridan scoop because there was so much noise about this story.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe Jenkins was Sheridan's source.

Draft saved Draft deleted