1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of people still fall for the Nigerian scam?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The kind that work at Citibank, evidently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/nyregion/21scam.html?_r=1

$27 million?!?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It becomes increasingly evident each day that some of the dumbest people in the world are in the banking industry.

3. lono

lono Active Member

You guys only write about us when we squander millions (or billions).

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The Nigerians have some sort of online scam going?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You mean that $27,387,232 deposit into a bank account the seemingly nice man named Ugah promised me in an e-mail might not not actually be coming?

God damn......

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

In the "Vent" of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution during Thanksgiving break was this gem:

"All these Harvard MBAs have run some of the biggest companies in the world into the ground. I got my business degree from Kennesaw State and my business is still profitable. What gives?"

7. dieditor

dieditor Member

One of the coaches I used to deal with called me once with a "story." I go see him and he shows me a Nigerian scam email, and offers me $100,000 to go to Amsterdam to pick up his money and act as his courier. Apparently he had already emailed back and forth with the scam artist and arranged a meeting. I solemnly informed him it was a scam, and managed to make it out of the building before bursting into laughter. I consider the restraint I showed one of the proudest achievements of my life.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I have to think that it's hard for actual Nigerians to get people to read their e-mails, especially if they happen to have come into an inheritance but just need some help getting to the money. There are other victims here besides those scammed ...

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Get busy, N-ians.

[​IMG]

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Anyone ever see the episode of Dateline NBC where they bust some of the guys who run these scams? They did it "Predator" style, complete with Chris Hansen and hidden cameras. It's hilarious.

11. Moonshine is a rapidly growing industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted