1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of computers do you have in your office?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

On our 1998 PIIs, we run Windows 98. The hard drives on all the sports computers are full, but it's because things like Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator, Newsdesk (does anyone but us still use that?) take up so much memory, and you can't really get rid of any of those and still have a functioning newspaper. I regularly have the computer crash as I'm toning a photo because the computer runs out of memory.

Like somebody else said, we can't look at our own paper's website without the computers crashing. We have one modern computer in the newsroom -- a Dell from about 2004 -- that the entire newsroom shares to put stories and video and photos online.

I've told my ASE, only half joking, that on my last day here, I'm bringing a baseball bat and smashing all four sports computers to bits. Then I'm telling the managing editor he can take the $50 for them out of my last paycheck.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

G4s with OS9 and Quark. The printers are old, the computers are old, they don't like to talk to each other and we get error messages for no apparent reason (that the IT guys refuse to deal with).

Coming from a place that was running InDesign CS3, adjusting to a computer that runs half as fast (and seriously, getting ESPN to open is a strain on it, which shows how much RAM it has and how much unnecessary crap ESPN has on their home page.) it's an interesting adjustment. My iBook laptop almost runs better than the work computers.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have...oops, HAD a G4 on my desk.

The thing crashed (won't boot past the loading screen) two months ago and I have been working at the desk next to mine for layout...

...not that football season is around the corner and it's hard to answer my phone from the next desk over...

...not that I mind...

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you need to find the passion you once had for this profession.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I think ours is a G4. Looks something like this, but I'm not sure where the tower is...

[​IMG]

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm running with a G4 tower and OS 10.3. Most of our office is using early generation iMacs that have no business being on OSX, but they are. We have a couple of halfway decent eMacs, but they've all drifted to advertising it seems.

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Is it me, or does that seem to be standard with IT guys? I think I could do the job of our IT people because it apparently consists of not doing anything helpful but looking like you're busy.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Remember, we're talking about newspaper companies here. Actual skilled IT guys are getting paid double the money your guys are and having more fun on their off time.

You're getting help-desk castoffs.

OK, you're right: That's being a bit harsh. Same idea, though: They're bitter, they're jealous and they don't want to deal with you ... because the fscking server just went down again. A real company would shell out the money for new servers, but these assholes upstairs want to get blood from a turnip so this POS server still runs Banyan VINES, which has been obsolete since Microsoft brought out Windows 2000.

9. D-D-D-Dells with CCI.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The place I left not too long ago was still working with Etch-a-Sketches.

11. Beachey

Beachey Member

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

It is the control room on a nuclear submarine.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted