1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What keeps you in it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SilverAndBlack, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Once you've been in as long as us, you almost have to play it out because of the seniority angle. But I've already decided this is the last newspaper I'll work for. Layoffs, buyout, bankruptcy (the company's, not mine), whatever comes -- then I'll move on to something else. Until then, ride it out.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There may be better professions for that.

And yeah, the golden handcuffs keep me from quitting and working retail. Need health insurance to play sports.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's not a shitty job. I still love newspapering. I can't imagine doing anything else, although I realize that I may soon have to.
    The downside is working in a position below my skill and experience level because that is all that is available in my area.

4. ;D ;D ;D

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's the coolest job of anyone i know. and it takes talent. it includes travel and being a people person.

and i'm, damn good at it.

has been the perfect storm for me. if i was just starting out, i probably would've taken a different path. would've made a lot more money. but wouldn't have been a grinning idiot for most of the last 31 years.

sure, the final stretch is going to be rough. but can't EVER seeing myself filled with regret about the career i've had.

i get that few share my experiences, especially in the present climate. so i get the bitching and panic. in my limited cocoon, i've been blessed.

6. I honestly love what I do. If I didn't need to pay bills, I would do this for free.

There are parts I don't love, but when it's time to cover a game, there's nothing else I'd rather do.

7. amoney

amoney New Member

I'm shocked, shocked i say.

That not one person has said that it was cause it was meant they were supposed to do.

I got in this business (fairly recently) because I enjoy waking up and go to work, that I get to do something I have some talent at and because I love telling stories.

No matter what happens to newspaper, people will always read. While the industry can cause some grey hairs, my job basically boils down to going out, talking to people and telling people about my day. It is the greatest job in the world.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

I got nowhere else ta go!!

I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TA GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got nuthin' else.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

You and me both, shockey...as you well know.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Word for word.

11. bmm

bmm Member

To pick up the paper and be proud of overcoming odds and putting together a local sports page at a small shop that looks better than a lot of the shops the next step up. Having good working relationships with the coaches in my area where we have a lot of mutual respect for one another. To see kids smile picking up the paper.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That's what they are banking on with the citizen journalism movement. Though I've sensed a slowdown on citizen journeymen/women. Could the higher ups be realizing what a dumb idea free citizen journalism is?

Draft saved Draft deleted