1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What keeps you in it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SilverAndBlack, Dec 1, 2009.

1. With all this talk about so many people leaving the industry, whether it be voluntary or by lay off/budget cuts, it makes the profession seem so dank and dreary.

So, lets talk about some positive aspects of this job. For those of you in the business, as I am myself, what keeps you in it? What makes the wacko hours and low pay worth it to you? For me.. I do enjoy the adrenaline rush of writing on deadline and relish the chance to talk sports, analzye games/plays with experts in the field.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I love the fact that I'm writing about sports for a living. So cool. I also, as SE, appreciate the responsibility of dictating the sports coverage for an entire city. I welcome that pressure and opportunity.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not wanting to move back in with my parents.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Junkets to Vagas.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This.

And the groupies.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Make that Vegas. Damn, already had too much to drink.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Inability to find a paying job outside the business, mostly.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This, combined with my pride in my family and friends knowing I'm working a "professional" job and not something mere entry-level, despite there being little difference in pay.

I did apply to be a cable installer a few weeks ago but never heard back. Would have been a $2.15/hour raise.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Bingo bango bongo. In my case, edit to read "Inability to find a paying job inside or outside the business, mostly"

10. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

My almost but not quite noble need to destroy myself for an ideal.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

After 24 years, I don't know how to do anything else. I'm too young to retire and too old to start over with a new career.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because after watching the movie "Dead Presidents" I realized that trying to hijack armored cars can be risky and the after watching the movie "Set it Off" I realized that robbing banks could be a very-high risk way to make a living as well....

Draft saved Draft deleted