1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What jobs are AI/robot proof?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Robot chef is already here.

Moley – The world's first robotic kitchen

Whether it works or not is a different story.

And no reason to think that other trades - masonry, say, or roofing or paving - won't be (mostly) automated very soon.

Plumbing and electrical might take a little longer.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Then again ... "Food prep has the biggest share of tasks that could be automated with currently existing tech out of any job type."

The robot revolution will be worse for men

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Health care, especially elder care, is very labor intensive despite decades of amazing technological progress.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Well. .... You're going to need a breakthrough like Quantum computing, which we've heard for years now "is just over the horizon!"

But you still face the problem, when it comes to things like understanding and automating the creation of a Human-Computer Interface, we're just so far away.

The artistry in coding and GUI design is not unlike the artistry involved in page design. Sure - anyone can slap a four column-head over a three column photo with four columns of text wrapped around it. But who are the people who can look at that block of text and say, "Yeah - but it doesn't quite look right ... let's adjust this and that"? And more importantly: can we describe the NP-completeness of such an algorithm?

Traveling salesman is a classic computer science problem when describing algorithms we've solved, algorithms we know can't be solved, and algorithms we know can't be solved, but can be approximated to be solved "close enough." Understanding that relationship (plus Big O - basically the ratio of required computing resources to the amount of data for a particular solution) is pretty key to proposing solutions to difficult coding challenges - refactoring a solution from O(n!) or O(n^2) to something like O(n) is huge!

Can a computer do any of that? Not yet.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rock star

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nah. Bunch of those guys/ladies are robots already.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

FT

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yes, but...

When I worked hospital x-ray, 95% of the images taken would go through hospital radiology for the radiologists to look at. Interpreting them is an art. I used to stand by as images I had taken were dictated by the doctors, and the detail that they could see at a glance amazed me. We're talking about very subtle gradations in a black and white image. Every evening, the night shift techs would shoot numerous portable chest x-rays of bed bound patients, checking for pneumonia, tube placement, etc. Those films would be waiting at 6 a.m. when the docs came in and ground through stacks of them. You would think that the radiologist's jobs were incredibly safe.

With the advent of digital x-ray, hospitals started to outsource the overnight image interpretations. The docs were on salary plus something like $5 for every film they interpreted, and the hospitals found a way to outsource that work and save money. The digital films were sent to radiologists in India who read them for far less. Instead of the local Dr. starting to read a stack of films at 6, the whole damn stack would already be back with the dictated interpretation attached ready to go to the various physicians who had ordered the films. As a result the number of radiologists on staff was reduced. Yes, doctors got laid off.

It has been years since I worked hospital radiology, but I understand that there is interpreting software now that flags image anomalies for the radiologists to double check. Some of the images are incredibly subtle, things like mammograms, and that sort of back-up is probably a very good thing, but it's still a step toward less humans in the loop.

Labor intensive jobs like plumber, auto mechanic, or health care are safer, but don't ever think that you can't be outsourced. You never know what might come along that changes the paradigm.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The better jobs in health care may be reduced, but as the number of old and therefore sick people increase, the less good jobs involving patient care will increase. I was hospitalized for a week in 2014 with a bowel obstruction (try to avoid this). The guys who came in and changed my sheets each day are not gonna be replaced, nor the night nurses nor nutritionists, physical therapy personnel and like that.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hunting and fishing guide.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hunting and fishing guide sounds like a perfect tasks for machine learning - identifying environmentals and other variables and then offering suggestions to achieve responses (i.e. "it's this warm; the moon is like this; the weather has been like that; you want to catch these; here's what other people have been doing for success in given those same factors.")

So I wouldn't write that one off, yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted