1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What it was like to cover the Sterling-era Clippers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, May 8, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Time Paul Silas Let A Clippers Beat Writer Make A Draft Pick

I haven't read the entire thing, but I saw this today and it wasn't surprising in the least. Hilarious, though.

Here’s how Nick Canepa, who worked the beat during the 1981-82 season, remembers it:
    I think it was the draft where they drafted [Terry] Cummings. I think it was the ’82 draft. This is the honest to God’s truth, there were a lot of rounds in the draft then, not two like there are now. There were a lot of rounds in the draft then. Not two like there are now. I think they were up to like, the seventh round. And I’m sitting in Silas’s office, and you know, he’s looking at these sheets, and he goes, “I don’t know Nick, you pick somebody.”
    I’m saying, is Eddie Hughes gone yet? Eddie Hughes was a little guard who was just a rocket at Colorado State. I’d been covering San Diego State basketball before that. ... One of the fastest players I’ve ever seen. [I said] “Is Eddie Hughes from Colorado State gone yet?” And he says, “No.” So they drafted him. I drafted a guy.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to share this with my Fort Collins readers in the morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted