1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your paper doing with the NFL preseason games?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Aug 10, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

At mine, we are running a story on the local team's game with art, no cp or anything, on the front with accompanying capsules from other games with the jump.

I can't bring myself to play something so pointless any bigger than that.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

If you're in an NFL market and you have nothing else big going on, there's nothing wrong with making it a CP. Some people enjoy following their NFL team.

3. Local team at the top of the page with art, refers, etc.

PGA Championship has been our CP.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ditto.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

2-3 inches for each game in a roundup on like page 6.

Then again, the local team plays tonight.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Locals get coverage, the rest are in a NFL notes rail

Total waste of time and space other than locals.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't think it's a waste of time and space...entirely. It's a waste of time and space if you're running roundups of what actually happened in the games. But there are semi-important decisions that get made/semi-interesting things that happen. I'd imagine people might like to know how Brady Quinn did in his first game, for example, or how Joey Harrington did now that he's the starter for the Falcons.

You basically have to treat it like just another day of training camp, IMO.

8. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Here, here. Who gives a flying fu-crying out loud about the preseason. I do agree with deskslave, it is just another day of training camp, ergo page 3 crunched between the agate and "today on tv."

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should all call them exhibition games.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Area team gets front page for big news in preseason. Almost everything else gets on inside. Preseason games get in the roundup mode, usually as tight as possible. It's worthless, yes, but a lot of people like these worthless games.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Non-NFL cities -- Run the NFL exhibition games as the topper on an NFL notebook, especially if there's a significant injury. This is a good place for the games because you can keep everything in one location if you have to chase the page.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Is this a new phenomenon?

Draft saved Draft deleted