1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your most memorable storm?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Jul 6, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Shit, it's got its own Wiki page. I never knew that. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_of_the_Century_(1993)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In '88 we got snowed in with 20 inches — the most snow I've ever seen at one time in my life. The whole family had to get up on the roof to shovel the snow off of it for fear of collapse.

Needless to say, nobody went anywhere the whole time — you couldn't even get the car door open because of the snow. It started snowing on Sunday night and it was Friday before we could even think about getting out. "Stir crazy" doesn't begin to describe it.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You'd have known that if you'd seen the link I posted upthread... :)

The T-storm stories reminded me of a couple that I neglected to mention earlier. I was a sophomore in college and on my way to football practice. I was injured at the time and happened to be on the field early, among a few of us chatting with our RBs coach. He made reference to us not doing that much that day, then pointed to the horizon. I swear, I've never seen the sky so black during daylight hours - almost like part of the sky was at 8:30 p.m. and the rest was at 4 p.m. like it should have been. Sure enough, it starts raining and blowing like a MFer; I have like 7 people piled into my Daytona because they were walking to practice. A tree fell because of the storm and crushed our kicker's car.

Secondly: In 2002, I was living with a couple of colleagues in a townhouse near our office. We had a particularly violent thunderstorm pass over us - bad winds, lots of hail, tons of rain, the whole nine - and it strengthened as it moved east. It crossed the Potomac and dropped an F4 tornado that killed four people over in La Plata, Md. While certainly surviveable on our end, I'll always remember that one for what it did after it left.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We get 12 inches of snow per year, on average, where I live.

We got twice that in one sitting in 2004, a few days before Christmas. I spent a night or two at work, sleeping on a couch in a break room and wondering when/if I'd make it home for Christmas.

A close second is a Memorial Day weekend storm that I drove through from Chicago all the way down the Indiana-Illinois border to the Wabash/Ohio river area.

Here's the Storm Prediction Center's record of severe weather reports for that day:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/040530_rpts.html

873 reports. That trip was — as the kids say — a muthafucka.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The one that turned into Stephanie Abram's personal wet t-shirt contest.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hurricane Andrew.

In essence, a 15-mile-wide, three-hour long, C3 tornado.

Slept in the closet with a static-choked transistor. My good fortune (it straightened dead west for hundreds of miles before jiggling wnw for the final 60 miles), meant disaster for my compadres in Homestead and the environs, though the thing realistically hit the most sparsely populated area it could have by the final 24 hours before landfall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember the days after that storm, too. Our car was iced in. We parked it behind a billboard on the side of the house, and since it was in the shade the top layer of snow froze solid. We had to chop through 3 or 4 inches of ice just to get to the snow you could shovel.
    And driving around after that, and seeing all of the trees glazed over ... my god, that was beautiful. It was like living in a world full of crystal figurines.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here are is a link to the Inauguration Day Storm in 1993 in Seattle:

http://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/January1993.html

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I remember the Storm of the Century now. I lived far away from the coast. As in close-to-the-Mississippi-River far away. It was the worst ice storm I've ever seen. Knocked our power out for a week and made driving almost impossible.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Two come to mind...

I remember the tornadoes that hit on 4/8/74 that leveled parts of Ohio. In east Tennessee, we totally felt it, too. I also remember it because that was the night Hank Aaron hit 715, and we were watching it on regular tv.

There was also the one that happened about a year before that. Lightning struck about four feet away from me.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I remember coming back from covering a high school football game once, and a local reporter gave me directions to get back home (I was in the sticks)....His directions sucked, and I wound up lost, in the middle of nowhere, and the headlights in my old beater car went out. Luckily my brights worked, and I drove home watching one of the coolest lightning storms I've ever seen. I was in awe.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Slap:

1977. I spent that week at home with mono, went back to school early that Sunday thinking we would miss the storm going back to Central. We did, but a lot of people needed six hours to drive three from the Detroit area.

Two months later we had 30 inches of snow, they closed the roads out of town (and school, too) and Mount Pleasant was out of alcohol by 10 a.m. thursday morning. The clearing of roads and arrival of replacement beer didn't happen until Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted