1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your irrational fear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 27, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That's not irrational. Just unlikely.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rube Goldberg begs to differ

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Heights bother me the most when there's even a remote chance I could fall. I love rollercoasters, but I'm strapped in. Not gonna fall. Same with looking out a skyscraper.

Last month I was having lunch with friends at the restaurant on the 95th floor of the Hancock Building. (Which was fantastic and not as expensive as you might think).

Anyway, we had great seats next to the window, looking south. Didn't get nervous at all until I noticed the window washing trolley moving up on the east side of the building.

I also can't stand any insect bigger than a fly.

4. CR19

CR19 Member

Escalators, bees, and heights. Whenever I go on an escalator, I think of falling backwards and going down.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heck, I almost thought that happened to me a while back. I graduated a double-major, and had always represented myself as that in resumes and job searches. Then I had received a copy of my transcripts, and they only had me listed as one major. I nearly blew a gasket, and the woman on the phone wasn't very reassuring, saying they had to look into it. It was a long day before the woman called back, and told me I was right. I felt like George O'Leary.

And back to the original thread, I was in my senior class play, with a big part, and had done pretty well in it. But I've had the dream where it's the night of the play, and I haven't memorized my lines and I'm out on the stage, stumbling over what I have to say with the entire theater watching me.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Maybe not a "fear" but baboons freak the hell out of me. They look like little vicious midget werewolves. If one ever jumped on me, I'd shit myself. Fortunately, I do not live nor plan to visit Africa, so this is a fear I won't ever have to confront. I also have a general dislike for all monkeys/apes. Orangutans are OK, I guess.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If it stings, I'm terrified. I was once attacked by a bee hive when I was 12. Never been the same since. Fuck that hurt.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I always look to make sure my shoes are tied before I get on an escalator.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Me too.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Caves. Caverns. That kind of thing.
    Not ever.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The last one. I'm pretty sure my glasses have never fallen off my face without provocation in the 20 years I've been wearing them, but I still get convinced that they will.

But I always say, for one thing, that I'm not afraid of heights, I'm just respectful of them, and for another, that it's not heights I'm afraid of but falls, and more specifically the sudden stop at the end.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Becoming my father.

Ain't gonna happen ... but these are supposed to be irrational fears, right? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted