1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your irrational fear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 27, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Seeing threads from 2007 pop up. Happened about 3-4 times the last month.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Beats the inevitable "Uh, stupid, this is a DB" that you know people are just waiting to throw out there. (Myself included)

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I don't like bugs (particularly spiders and roaches), but the phobic panic button is needles, as in injections. Every shot, finger prick or blood test induces pure fight-or-flight style panic and hyperventilating.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't live anywhere near the ocean but after seeing "Jaws" one too many times I won't go near the water if I am on holiday in Florida or California. The dozens of frolicking kids - including my own - show me there is no reason to worry but there's no fucking way I will even put my feet in. Huggy Jr. laughs at me constantly over this. He's never seen the movie.

No fan of walking over bridges either but I'll do it to get away from the ocean.

5. This is kind of a weird one. . . Ever since I was a kid, I was afraid of a person, former Press Secretary James Brady and/or Special Reports on TV news. When Regan was shot, Brady was shot in the head, and the news station that was on broke in, and put Brady's mug shot on the screen. Don't know what it was about the guy, but his face scared the hell out of me. So, I associated that with Special Reports, and for years after that, I always felt a bit uncomfortable when they came on. Certainly getting better as I get older, but I always think about it when I see one on TV.

6. baskethead

baskethead Member

Mice and rats. I'm convinced every one of them has it out for me. What did I ever do to them?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have this completely irrational fear that the industry in which I went to school to learn and received my degree and spent the first 14 years of my career would become obsolete.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Birds. Especially indoors. People let them swoop around their house and I'm freaking.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watching other people get shots. I had to leave the room during my son's various vacinations and cannot look at the screen when there's a shot of someone getting a shot (or especially shooting up) on TV.

I don't like getting shots myself, but can handle it OK.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Going to jail for a crime I didn't commit.

And, honestly, I'm a little afraid of cats. When I inadvertently make eye contact with one, I'm certain it's going to lunge for my jugular.

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Toenail clippers. "Fear" might be the wrong word, but I absolutely hate them and want nothing to do with them.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted