1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your irrational fear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 27, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I consider it a calling. One clown at a time.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Since I'm on my feet a lot at work, I have a fear of turning the wrong way and injuring my knee in a freak accident.

I've already had one freak accident (glass in the eye), so I'm a little nervous.

3. The earthquake today jogged my memory on this on ...

I will NOT - NOT - travel west of the Rockie Mountains until after 2035. That's the date prior to which scientists believe a cataclysmic earthquake will hit the west coast- the kind of earthquake that can drop California into the ocean and make the Nevada desert into very attractrive ocean front property.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The moon. If I'm driving late at night and I'm tired, I'm constantly worried it's going to crash into the earth. I keep looking at it thinking it's getting closer.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Virginia Woolf

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Definitely bridges. Definitely snakes.

And also agree about the semi-truck thing. They completely strike the fear of life in me when so many are on the road.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bridges.
    Frogs.
    Thunder.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Bridges, semis and knives.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I get panic attacks. I know what they are. But each time I get one, I think I'm going to die. So stupid. But so awful.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Does it count as an irrational fear if my fear is the one thing EVERYONE should be afraid of?

Yep, that's right, I'm afraid of death.

I don't know why it is and, deep down, I know that I'm not going to actually know what's it's like to be dead but the mere thought of my inevitable death is enough to, and quite often has, keep me awake at night.

I lie there picturing what it will be like and my heart starts racing. I know it's something everyone has to encounter at some point but I guess it's the not knowing when/how it's going to happen that freaks me out.

I can pinpoint when I started feeling this way too. I was around seven years old and I was delivering newspapers with my uncle and saw a front page story about some kid who was like a year older than me getting stabbed and killed by a classmate at school. Completely shattered me.

To this day, I have this irrational fear of dying and, for some reason, it hits me on Sundays the most. Perhaps because that's the day I've set aside to really think about the fact that it's been "X amount of years since blah blah blah..." and that "Even if I live to 100, I only have X amount of years left".

Oh, well, fuck it. Let's party!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Stinging insects. Bees, wasps, hornets. I'm skittish at best, downright terrified at worst.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted