1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite magazine?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 13, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a matter of taste, of course. So I understand if someone disagrees. But for me, Gawker wasn't even 1/5 as clever or irreverent as SPY was during its heyday under Grayden Carter and Kurt Anderson.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe SPIN, which was so great in its early days, also has archives on Google Books

lcjjdnh likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I always think of Spy's feature 'Logrolling in Our Time' whenever I notice two people liking each other's posts in close succession.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The Atlantic by a wide margin.

Then, The Economist and New Yorker in a dead heat.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’d love to read more about the heyday of Spy.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the massively oversized Rolling Stone, SI and The Economist, which as others have noted can be a lot to read. Can be pretty pricey but I got a good deal though the local newspaper.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a thing that happens when you get older but I've actually been reading TIME. Got it on the cheap simply for nostalgia but it's sucked me in. The photography's still great and I can blow through it in 45 minutes.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

SI, out of sheer nostalgia to when it brought me such joy in the 70's when I was a little kid.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This article is five years old, but their twitter feed linked to it today.

Just finished reading it, and it’s fantastic.

Going to have to check out more of their stuff.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Car and Driver

"Intelligence. Independence. Irreverence."

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At one time I subscribed to Time, Rolling Stone and Sports Illustrated. Now the only magazines I get are the alumni quarterlies from my and my wife's alma maters.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ESPN the magazine is free with Amazon Prime on the Kindle app as are a number of magazines inc,uses Esquire, Harper’s Bazaar, People ...

Draft saved Draft deleted