1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite day of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 2, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

First Saturday of college football season.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem with opening day is that 90 percent of the games are Power Conference Team vs. Team Paid to Lose.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

From a sporting perspective, the first Sunday of the NFL season. Knowing there are 4 months ahead of Sundays full of fantasy fb and gambling is like being a kid at Christmas for me.

Non sports, probably March 1st. Means that any chance or remnant of winter here is gone, and we've got 10 months of glorious weather ahead.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yep.

My favorite day of the year depends on whether I'm going to Talladega or not. If I'm not, my favorite day is the Sunday of the Daytona 500.

If I'm going to Talladega, my favorite day is the Saturday of that weekend. I probably didn't sleep for shit the night before, and I was up with the sun and into the cooler by 10 a.m. I've hauled my old ass to and from the track for the race, and now I am back at my campsite. I don't have anywhere to go and I don't have anything to do. God I love that feeling.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's today ...

Vombatus likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My favorite day is any day I can get away from all television, radio, internet and cell service. Being totally inaccessible is bliss. The world won't end if I don't see that email for three days.

Alternate day is any summer day at Steinbeck's hour of the pearl, outside bar patio, longneck bottle spawning dew, the heat of the day receding just enough, talking with my wife and people watching. We did that a lot when we were dating and a lot less since we've had kids.

I Should Coco, HC and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Actually, that day is traditionally the Sunday after the Florida game.

My favorite day is always July 4. I always start it by running in Atlanta's big 10K, the Peachtree, and then spend the rest of the day grilling and drinking with my closest friends and family.

Tweener and Dick Whitman like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

March 14th folks!!! S&BJ Day.

We are slipping around here. Where are your standards? I would have made this the second post, but threw out Feb 14th quickly because I know how Dick enjoys that day.

But you all let March 14th slip all the way to Page 2!!!

Sheesh.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Probably my birthday, April 8. It's the middle of spring, so the weather here is usually gorgeous, warm but not too hot, and baseball season (for me) is usually in full swing, getting into the nut-cutting games. Plus, it's the one day of the year when I'm the center of attention for family & friends.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dick Whitman's birthday.

LongTimeListener and doctorquant like this.
  11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Also the date on which Hank Aaron hit 715.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's just when it becomes mathematically official. The early-season egg always makes it clear to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted