1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your expertise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Nov 23, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We seem to have an interesting amalgam here, members and moderators.
    I bet we would be surprised what our members excel at.
    I'd love to be a full-time gardener.
    Professional complainer.
    Also wish I were a farmer.
    Here lies 3_Octave_Fart - gentleman farmer, pirate, poet.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I worked two summers on a farm as a teen and have too much respect for farmers to want to be one. Where I live, it's a hard but potentially wealthy life (and no, it's not Humboldt County, Calif.). But it's a constant pain in the ass. The closest farm to me, a couple of miles away, shuts down every Oct. 31 regardless of the opportunity to squeeze out another week or two like some farms around here do. The farmer's wife, who runs the farmstand, told me once that she's long past being simply sick of people by then, to the point that she hates a lot of us.

I'm a good amateur cook, but I don't think I'd be as good at it if I had to do it under pressure or in such close quarters with other humans. That's just like that while many people read a lot and can write OK, it's different under deadline pressure and with lots of noise around you.

And then there's just our natures. Some of us would turn any line of work into a grind, or at least more difficult than it needs to be, because getting it just right appeals to us.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm not Howard Stern, so I am not the King of All Media, but I have pretty much split time between all 4 types in my career that began in 1993.
    I started in radio (DJ), moved onto TV (news producer/reporter), dabbled in newspaper (D-II beat writer), back to TV (sports anchor), then back to radio (DJ/Sports PxP), sucked back into newspapers (Sports Editor) and have been within this realm (with slight dabbles into DJing as a voiceover talent) since 2006. During most of those stops I hosted blogs, vlogs and other web-only information sites.

And when I grow up....I want to be a professional brewer.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My dream has always been newspapers.
    My new dream is a professional caddie. I'm not that good at golf, but I love the game. I love the breakdown of it, analyzing every shot and trying to figure out what the best play is. I had a gig lined up on the mini tour years ago, but got a job at a paper and went with stability over a longshot.
    After being let go last year, I caddied a couple times here and there at my old club, but it was far from consistent. A week before Labor Day, I started caddying at TPC Boston. It was a different type of caddying (forecaddie for the most part) but after a couple rounds, I got into a groove with it. The money was also way more than what I was making at my old gig.
    Season ended Oct. 15, it starts up again May 15. I'll be back. Too much fun not to.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My grandfather was a farmer in his "retirement." I put that in quotes because he and my grandmother retired to a farm after he retired from his construction job. Cows, horses and grew alfalfa in the Colorado high desert. My grandmother hated it and a month after he died -- on the farm, of course -- she was off the farm and back in the town where she had always wanted to be.

My uncle (the grandfather's/grandmother's son) also was a farmer, post-Vietnam, across the road from my grandfather. Dairy farm was going well until a drought wiped him out. Then chickens until an electrical fire produced Colorado Fried Chicken.

Our "summer vacation" of the California kids was to go to the farms -- and we would do chores and work with our cousins. Helped in the milking (before the highly technical process in place now), bucking bales, building fences (wood and electric), shooting prairie dogs.

Great memories. Loved going there. But doing all that work year-round -- glad we didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted