1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Yonkers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Even better...

[​IMG]

Songbird likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yonkers conquers.

3. YankeeFan

So true.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There's part of east side of Yonkers borders toney Bronxville. There's a part that you can actually get
    a desired Bronxville PO but have your house in Yonkers. The cheaper real estate of Yonkers but the cache or
    Roger Goodell's Bronxville. I've often caught people in the lie by pining them down on the address.
    COUNTY LINES - The Lure of a Bronxville Address - NYTimes.com
    And Cran I'll take Yonkers over New Haven. You can get to Yankee Stadium in 15 minutes.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fucking LOVE saying Ronkonkoma.

6. Boom_70

More better. Roll "Speonk" around on your tongue

[​IMG]

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

People kill for that section of Yonkers because it also puts them in the Bronxville school system, which is excellent.

8. YankeeFan

Pelham MANOR is another one. I used to tease one guy I went to high school with by telling him he lived in Mount Vernon.

There's also a little strip of the Bronx that is cut off from the rest of the Bronx by the highway. If you live there, you get a Pelham Manor phone number and zip code. You pay lower property taxes, and your kids can go to Pelham High School.

Since your also still eligible to run for office in NYC, it's also become known as "Politicians Row" or "Judges Row".

A Tiny Strip of New York That Feels Like the Suburbs - NYTimes.com

9. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

10. Boom_70

Pretty sure it doesn't. That was the issue with the segregation that was the area of Yonkers that protested the most about
    changing schools around. Many who live in that area of Yonkers send their kids to private schools like stuffy Iona Prep.

11. YankeeFan

Iona Prep is stuffy?

They were a big rival of my high school, so while three of my brothers graduated from there, I have no love for them. But, I'm not sure I'd call it stuffy.

Horace Man, Riverdale, Rye Country Day. Much more expensive. Much more likely that your classmate will be the child of hedge fund manager, or the owner of a pro sports team, or the former governor.

12. Boom_70

Hey we all know that Stepinac is the stuffy Catholic HS in Westchester ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted