1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is With Society's Hatred of Fat People?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bacon Cheeseburger, May 23, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Slamming people because they are overweight or obese is not and never will be acceptable. But there's also a whole other category that catches heat over it. I'm well within the physician reccomended weight range for my age and height, but by today's social standards I'm a fatty. WTF's up with that?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'll avoid the snarky reading comprehension comment. Perhaps I was not clear.

Purveyors of BOTH products market to children. One is breaking the law when it does that. The other is not.

Better?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

From CNN.com

A new study shows for the first time how much life expectancy is shortened for those who are overweight or obese at 40. For smokers, the statistics are even worse.

"If you're overweight, you basically live three years less ... and if you're obese, you live approximately six to seven years less," says Dr. Robert Eckel with the American Heart Association.

At least one expert had a different opinion, however.

"It seems to me that skinny people have more ailments, especially when they get older," said Dr. Boots, graduate of the Kevorkian Medical School.

4. KG

KG Active Member

What? I'd only be giving up three years of my life to eat what I want and be lazy? That's just not fair.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Only the good die young ...

6. BTExpress

Those are just the raw numbers.

Doesn't take into account the quality of life,

I kind of like feeling great and playing tennis every day and never having to struggle for a breath.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I was only kidding. I recently joined a gym and spend more than an hour there at least five days a week by choice.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

From one fatty to the nation... the funniest family guy bit I've seen in a while...

And if you've never heard Ralphie May's "Fat Bastard" rant, well.. you're missing out.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That was pretty funny. But I thought boots was a proctologist.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And who can forget:

11. BTExpress

Uh, his degree in that field has been exposed as a fake.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I know, I just thought he was like the Dr. VanNostrand of SportsJournalists.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted