1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "wealthy?" Most millionaires say they're not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Donny in his element, Jul 29, 2013.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Politicians, by and large, have no concept of the daily toils of trying to make ends meet. I suspect the majority of them never have. Silver spoons, Ivy League schools. That's probably the biggest reason why politicians are so out of touch with Americans.

Compared to a family of 10 in The Sudan? Yeah, we're all rich. Compared to a professional athlete in America, or musician, or actor, we're low income. Many of us in this profession are poverty.

I'd be willing to bet those 69 percent have never known what commodity peanut butter tastes like. I'd bet they've never felt what it's like to sleep on a picnic table or a park bench. I'd bet the majority of them have no idea what the underside of a car looks like.

I'd like to take all of their first-world problems and shove them up their collective ass.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a lot of truth in this. No matter how much you make or have, you'll always have the feeling you'd be more secure if you make more.
    When you start at that $20K a year entry level job, you tell yourself things will be fine once you're making $30K.
    You get to that level, and you realize you're still treading water and need a job that pays a little more.
    You're making $100K? Same deal. You buy a nice house, decent car, a few nice things -- not even extravagant things, just nice things -- and sock a little away for retirement, and you think things will be better if you made $150K.
    And so on up the ladder.
    Seems like it's just human nature. It's part of what makes us strive for greatness. Even if you're better off than most, you're driven to achieve by thinking you're not.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why should we compare ourselves to the professional athlete instead of the Sudanese family when determining our status?

4. printit

printit Member

I believe people should look at things in terms of absolute wealth. But most don't. Most look at relative wealth. Old joke that rich was defined as making more money then your wife's sister's husband.

5. Dick Whitman

For the record, I think that income inequality within the United States is a problem. Both philosophically and for growth. But I also urge perspective.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Income inequality is as big a problem as "overcrowded" classrooms.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"Comprehensive immigration reform"? Net positive, or net negative for income inequality?

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Many reasons.

One, we're Americans. Two, America isn't a third-world country. Three, most of us have college degrees and are professionals.

I've never heard anyone aspire to live "The Sudanese Dream."

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I'm so glad I don't let the amount of money I make define who I am as a person.

I like my job, have a roof over my head, some food in the fridge and can afford to go out every now and then. That's good enough for me.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Those sound like justifications for having wealth, not reasons to apply a certain standard.

11. Dick Whitman

Are you able to save some money?

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yep, I have a 401(k) and I can put some away every pay day. Not really any of your business and not sure why it matters but I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted