1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "wealthy?" Most millionaires say they're not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Donny in his element, Jul 29, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're "making" $1 mil a year and not living like a complete fool, hell yeah it should be enough. But if someone handed me $1 mil and said you can't work another day in your life, I'd be a little nervous with two small children to fund college for, hoping to kick around a few more decades myself, and still insisting on playing new ProV1s.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

There's a difference between someone having a million dollars and making a million dollars a year. If you have a million dollars and nothing more (especially with a wife and kids), yeah, I can see being apprehensive.

If you make a million dollars a year and don't live comfortably with no worries? Well, I'll just echo what Handsome Harley said.

And finally, I can't believe this question hasn't been asked: What would you do with a million dollars?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pay everything off and put the rest in interest-bearing accounts. Even 2% interest would be a nice $20,000 annual bump.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you make between $100,000 and $200,000 a year, you're in a 30-plus-percent tax bracket and you're paying full price (or close to it) for your kids' college tuition, not to mention the house, car and other expenses mentioned above.

That's not wealthy. Better off than me, but not wealthy.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Two chicks at the same time

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Rich is being able to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. 50, 100 million. A player.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Comfortable is not having to save or rework a budget for a $3,000 trip.

Rich is not not having to save or rework a budget for a $40,000 kitchen.

Wealthy is not having to save or rework a budget for a $800,000 condo for vacations.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This might be better than the new stats you cam up with to define a quality start.

I propose the Times hire Devil to replace Nate Silver. The way he crunches numbers, and makes them easy to understand, is unparalleled.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

$40,000 kitchen!?! Are you outfitting it with a professional Viking range?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, but a nice kitchen with all new appliances will run you between $20 and $25K. You step up the granite and lighting along with a few other bells and whistles, you are getting into the 40k range.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the "percent of income" thing becomes less and less important the higher the salary.

Putting 38 percent of a $100K income toward a mortgage STILL gives you $62,000 a year for everything else (minus taxes).

38 percent of a $30,000 income toward a mortgage gives you only $18,600 for everything else (minus taxes).

If I'm a loan officer, the $100K income guy gets the loan easily, and the $30,000 income guy is out of luck. Despite the percentage of income being equal.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So stipulated.

Neither person is wealthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted