1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "wealthy?" Most millionaires say they're not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Donny in his element, Jul 29, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

The problem with a lot of investment advice is that it comes with assumptions that the person getting the advice has the time/interest/aptitude to maximize his/her potential in that given area. (aptitude is not meant to be condescending, even the smartest of people have strengths and weaknesses). I don't disagree with anything Ragu wrote above, but I don't think Joe Blow could sit at a computer and do that well. Conversely, if someone is comfortable in the real estate market (93 Devil, for example), that might be the best place for him to invest. The fact that a skilled investor can outperform a landlord does not per se mean every landlord should stop being a landlord and start investing.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what I wrote that you are referring to. ...

But I suggested in my only post with regard to most people, that if you are relatively young -- have a time horizon that is 20, 25 or 30 years -- and are not sitting on a trust fund, for most people, who don't thrive on this stuff, it makes sense to put that money you are not going to need for decades into equities. I suggested for most people, that doesn't mean trying to time markets, be stock pickers or think they know anything they don't. Low-cost index funds that track broad indexes that give you broad exposure to stock markets make a great deal of sense. For several reasons. First, expenses and transaction costs are a bigger deal than most people realize. Even if you invest in only actively managed mutual funds, if they are taking, say, 1 percent a year to manage that fund, that is 1 percent of potential compounded return (over 20 or 25 or 30 years) that you are giving away. You can buy index funds that track the Wilshire 5000, S&P 500 or Russell 2000 that have an expense ratio that is less than .2 percent. Even though it might not seem like a lot, the difference between that and the expenses a lot of funds charge can add up to a lot of money when it is compounded over time.

Secondly, most actively managed funds / money managers don't outperform those broad indexes (if they use them as a benchmark) when you look over time. They might outperform for a year or two here or there, and use that performance to sell their services to more people, but there aren't a ton of people who are smart enough (or is it lucky enough?) to outperform those broad indexes over any length of time that isn't an anomaly.

Lastly, that broad approach requires most people to know relatively little. They are investing in the stock market, and for diversification purposes, they are trying to gain exposure to large baskets of stocks that mirror broad indexes. It could be as simple as owning one fund (a total stock market fund / Wilshire 5000 fund), or a bunch of funds that allocate it a bit differently - some in an S&P 500 index fund, some in a Russell 2000 (small cap stocks) fund, some in an international stock index fund (usually the MSCI All Country World Index ex USA). Using that approach, all you really need to do is figure out the asset allocation you are comfortable with and rebalance everything every quarter or so to keep that asset allocation.

Here was my post: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3645323/

That might not be an approach someone wants to take, and no problems with anyone who takes an approach to growing their nest egg in a different way, but I really do think it is a smart approach for the vast majority of people. Is that what you disagreed with?

3. The Big Ragu

I should have put this in the last post. ... even if you just have owned the S&P 500 (500 of the largest stocks in the U.S. in terms of market capitalization) for the last 30 years, your annualized return would have been more than 7.9 percent. The 50 year annualized return (since 1963) is more than 6.5 percent. It is time tested, even if the past doesn't necessarily predict the future.

It's a very passive way of growing your money, as opposed to trying to be a real estate investor -- or any other type of investment / trading vehicle that requires you to be "smart" enough to avoid bad decisions, and also requires a great deal of work on your part just to manage your investment. With the approach I am suggesting, historically, you could dollar cost average money in every month, for example, and passively invest in an index that gives you broad exposure and diversification in equities, and have earned relatively easy returns (in that you don't have to manage it, the way you do a residential property with tenants) in the 7 percent annualized range.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep...

Not everyone is a winner in the stock market. there are plenty of losers buying high to the winners who are selling high and the converse to losers selling and winners buying low.

5. That's why the casual investor should invest in mutual funds.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hell, not even mutual funds. Just run-of-the-mill index funds. They typically outperform mutual funds.

7. printit

printit Member

I agree on index funds, with the caveat again that if someone has a specialized knowledge/insight, etc. into a particular market (i.e. rentals) it might be a better investment for them, but not a better investment across the board.

Re: Ragu: I may have worded my last post poorly. I was stating that, while it might be a good idea for more sophisticated investors (like you) to do certain things, it can be a trap to others. This obviously does not include the very good advise you have given to invest in index funds.

8. I don't invest in individual stocks. Just don't have the time to research and manage a portfolio. I do monitor different index and mutual funds. From 2008-2010, my investments grew at about a 10 percent annual rate. Nothing spectacular, but still decent.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Government bonds -- Egypt, Jamaica, Cyprus and Argentina. Knock yourself out.

10. The Big Ragu

I am not an expert on Argentine sovereign debt, other than that I am pretty sure they haven't issued any bonds since they defaulted way back, and they are incredibly high yielding relative to U.S. treasuries.

But Argentina having gotten a default out of the way before the massive defaults that are coming might make Argentine corporate debt the best fixed income bargain in the world. Their bonds are being discounted heavily, but they don't look any more risky than similar U.S. bonds.

I'm not sophisticated enough to invest this way, and it would require me putting money somewhere I don't have a complete handle on. ... but follow the reasoning:

The Federal Reserve has manipulated treasury interest rates to keep them ridiculously low. Market forces are fighting the Fed, and just with Ben Bernanke spouting off about asset purchase tapering in May, 10-year treasury yields have been bucking their way upward. That has created some havoc in U.S. corporate debt, which really isn't that much safer than corporate debt in other parts of the world, but benefits from flight to safety money.

With the signal of rising yields, a lot of money has been flowing out of the bond markets over the last two months, and in the one chain leads to another in the chain of events, that has meant that a ton of money has left emerging market bond funds. The money is mostly leaving because as bonds enter an uncertain period, as money flows out, it can cause liquidity problems in emerging market corporate debt, which offsets the people who will go there to reach for yield. They aren't the most liquid markets.

Which gets me to Argentina. Their corporate bonds (and these should be near investment grade bonds, regardless of what letter the ratings agencies assign them) pay between 10 and 15 percent. Because the default and the economic hardship has largely passed through, they have net debt that is an average of just 1.9 times earnings, according to Fitch. These are bonds that are rated B- -- at least I believe they cap out at B-.

But that debt to earnings ratio is in line with U.S. companies that are ranked BBB+ and are only paying somewhere around 4 percent.

Which if you look at the world logically (not based on bond market perceptions) might make Argentine corporate debt a huge bargain.

Draft saved Draft deleted