1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is 'trolling'?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And, see, this is why you've rubbed me the wrong way, too. I feel like you act like this sincere guy offering your expertise, but the second someone pisses you off, it's double-barrels about how much they suck at your job.

I admit that I could be reading it wrong. That you are a sincere guy offering your expertise. But you post what you posted to Daemon, to Songbird, to me, to a college "scribbler," start to doubt the sincerity.

I know, I know. We all threw the first punch. But the guy who punches back always gets the technical. But besides, it bothers me that you would think that about people, in light of the persona you cultivate 99 percent of the time.

2. Dick Whitman

I meant the Spider Man response.

Look, I'm trying to be sincere here. If you want to keep being the toughest tough guy on the planet, well, I tried.

I concede that I'm far from perfect.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Here's a writing tip, offered sincerely: When you use "but" 26 times in 14 sentences, it means you haven't thought through what you're trying to say and your structure sucks.

4. Dick Whitman

You're just a dick.

I'm at peace with that.

I tried.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You two would probably be lovers if you stripped off your anonymous personas and got cozy.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Can we do a Narcissistic Personality Disorder thread next?
    Whitman will be happy, since we all get to talk about him again.

typefitter likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be fucking tender about it, I can tell you that much.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, this is also not true. I simply believe you shouldn't care so much what people on a mostly-anonymous message board think about you.

TyWebb likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just view all threads like this as pleas for love.

10. jr/shotglass

Elliotte, I say this with no rancor. But the "anonymous message board, why should you care" thing gets old, too. Words matter. A lot of people use that here in the aftermath of cutting a little too deep.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I've got no problem with your response, shotglass. Maybe it's because I've been through the international meatgrinder. But I look at the things people get upset at here, and I think there is a TON of overreaction. That could just be the way I look at things, or who I am.

12. jr/shotglass

And I see what you say there, too. You have seen the deep end, and it was deep. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted