1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is this f-ing ESPN crap? What is the most "now" tournament?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Dont worry about Wilbon. He's openly bashed ESPN many times on PTI. I cant remember all of them but the one that first comes to mind was when he was making fun the pre-NFL Draft coverage. ESPN started puting the "And *insert team name here* is on the clock!"(remember the Mel Kiper basement segment?) segment about 2 months before the draft.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ESPN should put together a Superstars type competition featuring the best of the their alt-sports lineup. Joey Chestnut, a lumberjack from the GOGs, a poker player, a kid from the spelling bee, someone throwing gang signs (I mean Rock, Paper, Scissors), a street luger and some guy named Sven or Magnus from the World's Strongest man, competing in all of the various specialties. And for the obstacle course they'd use that imported show from Japan. Now that was an obstacle course.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If we all had DVR, I'm sure a much higher percentage of us would gladly be FFing through this tripe. Sadly, not all of us are as technically plugged in as others.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

This is from the Fire Joe Morgan blog via SportsByBrooks, an e-mail from a reader or correspondent of some sort:

<<America's Sweetheart files this report via email:

I have an idea for what to do after "Who's Now?" is over. It's called "what time is it?" A panel of ESPN experts would sit around and argue about what time it was. They would never agree because the time would always be changing. People could vote on-line and the it would all depend on when they voted.

At the end you would have some idea of what time it was.>>

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/07/espno.html

BTW, referring to the first part of that article: Please tell me SAS wasn't actually on the panel for Baseball Tonight.

5. EnZona

EnZona Member

In a mightier-than-thou attempt, the Scorecard in this week's SI calls out ESPN on the NOW segment. Written by SI executive editor Charlie Leerhsen, it lays into the WWL for producing such crap. I tried to find a link for it on SI's website, but was unsuccessful. Just imagine a lot of satire. It was good, just surprising that it came so far up the chain.

And while I agree with Leerhsen and have hated the NOW since its inception, as someone pointed out in a different thread about SI, what's with the Extra Mustard junk on its website? One might as well be looking at those Hollywood gossip sites. Oh ya, Leerhsen use to be the editor at US Magazine.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Most NOW.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

I have seen snippets at the gym while doing cardio and nothing else was on. It is completely HORRIBLE!!

What a complete cluster _____ with ZERO point. ESPN is at the same time the best & worst of the sports world. Only they could have thought up something this lame.

What is even worse is to drag this out over how many weeks in some wannabe "March Madness bracket/American Idol garbage."

Stop trying to be something your not ESPN. This is almost as bad as your first American Idol lame ripoff attempt "Dream Job", which was more like "Joke Show."

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but the Seinfeld Jerk Store jumped immediately to mind upon reading Joke Show.

The Joke Show called ... they're running out of you!

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So does this mean your future engagements with ESPN and ESPN Radio are off, John?

10. North61

North61 Member

I really can't take this shit either.

The other week I was visiting home and spending time with my dad and we flipped on SC after the game to watch some game highlights just in time to catch the who's now segment. Five seconds in he screamed 'who gives a fuck!?' to the TV and I think much of America is the same. Can't you assholes cover some baseball, show some baseball highlights and give some extra analysis on that? That was the best parts of SC back in the day.

I've just had it with SC/ESPN in general because I'm a huge hockey fan and I hate how it's relegated to two minutes in the winter in favor of pre-NFL draft coverage right after the super bowl and the endless NBA coverage. Seriously, ESPN has very, very little of what I want to watch anymore and who's now just reinforces that feeling.

Now they are bringing in Kevin James and Adam Sandler to debate with the nice promo for their new movie? Oh, I get it now, just a little bit more advertising.

Fuck You DJ Stewie and Fuck you ESPN.

Bring on football season.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Could ESPN be trying to rope in the "casual sports fan?" Why don't they start another channel for this crap and take the X Games, trick shot bowling, ill kids, paintball and the AFL over there.
    And bring back Aussie football.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I just discovered this thread. I've had strong hatred for Who's Now since it started. To me, it's as if they inserted an extended commercial into the middle of an evening newscast. It's sophomoric and reflects poorly on sports journalism. Can you see CBS News cutting into its programming for a five-minute discussion of whether Hillary is as hip as Obama. Christ.

Also, what's with them replaying highlights that they've already shown? I mean, why are you punishing me because Jethro didn't turn on his TV until 11:15?

Draft saved Draft deleted