1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is this f-ing ESPN crap? What is the most "now" tournament?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 29, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: What is this f-ing ESPN crap? Who is the most "now" tournament?

Wilbon? WILBON?

Say it ain't so, Mike. Say it ain't so :'(

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

me, too. i avoid it except for baseball tonight and live games. it's been this way for at least the last five years. out of habit when i'm flipping around i'll see what's on espn but i almost never stay.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

This is pure drivel. I watched about two minutes of it while I was getting ready for the day Sunday morning and couldn't stand anymore. Stu Scott is just like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.... I saw him the other night at the NBA draft doing post-pick interviews, and he'd make some asinine hip-hop/pop culture reference every time he'd throw it back to the main desk with Mike Tirico and the gang. Tirico just pretended like he didn't hear any of them... you could tell he was silently loathing DJ One-Eye.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I agree with Ragu. I have an 11-year-old brother (we're Catholic, most people think he's my son), and he thinks it's cool. So if that's the demo they're shooting for, middle school kids love it. I love that my bro is so into sports and all, because we share fantasy teams to help us stay closer when we live miles apart, but he thinks all of that stupid SportsCenter shit is cool.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bring back "Superstars" or the Great Outdoor Games (let's hear it for the big air dogs!) at least that involved competition and not a bunch of yapping.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just hope it doesn't cut into their Arena Football Coverage...

Honestly, I hate so much of what ESPN does these days, but this isn't one of them...

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

What bothers me is that ESPN has the nerve to claim that they have the authority to name this "Now" athlete.
    If by their criteria an athlete in the "Now" is along the lines of Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Billie Jean King, etc, then one cable station tabulating votes among it's followers is hardly the way to proclaim such an athlete.
    You'd think a "now" athlete, which is a stupid name, would be generally accepted already.
    And then for ESPN doesn't this defeat the purpose of the Espys?
    EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I forgot, the Espys are awarded to raise money for the Jimmy V Foundation and boost the WWL's summer ratings.
    My bad. I'd say the worst days of ESPN radio happen when the hosts are forced to raise money for the Espys. Gotta Love Colin Cowshit begging for money on-air!

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Why no notice of the sweet irony of Michael Irvin, Mr. Yesterday, as one of the commentators?

Who is Mike Hargrove running against? He was pretty now yesterday. Hargrove vs. Leyland; works for me!

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I don't know which is worse - this or those fake press conferences the WWL did for potential off-season baseball moves.
    I was also wondering if Wilbon loathes himself for those five minutes.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was about 1,000 times worse because a lot of people thought those press conferences were real... This is just a dumb game used to eat time on SportsCenter when nothing other than baseball is going on...

For the most part, I think this Now thing is harmless, but when I tuned into SC this morning it was the lead fucking story...

Now that's pathetic... Not as bad as Arena highlights or a 30-year-old dolphin story, but still pathetic...

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't NFL Tonight already "play out" this season's playoffs?

12. NDub

NDub Guest

I liked Dan Wetzel's column today. Read a book and don't watch "Who's Now?" garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted