1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the worst college football team to win/share a national title?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If that BYU team had ever played ONE outfit with a top-drawer passer who could have eaten their
    sluggish, crappy corners alive, there's no way they would have gone undefeeated.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't think they were the worst, but the '93 Florida State team was one of the most undeserving. Lost to Notre Dame, convincingly, then leapfrogs them when Notre Dame lost to Boston College a couple weeks later. I despise Notre Dame, and even I have to admit they got screwed that season.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. Wasn't it awesome?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember thinking that was funny since in a previous year Notre Dame had complained so much after Miami won one of its titles and Notre Dame finished second when the Canes had beaten the Irish head-to-head.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No doubt. ND's only loss that year was 39-38 squeaker on a long field goal on the last play of the game. FSU's only loss was TO Notre Dame in a game where they were thoroughly manhandled and dominated at the line of scrimmage. So the voters pick FSU. Huh?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Penn State then beat what became a 7-5 Illinois team by four. Explain that.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't require any more explanation than Nebraska winning 42-32, at home, against a Wyoming team that finished 6-6. Wyoming led 21-7 early in that game.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I witnessed the 1991 Texas-Miami Cotton Bowl in person and I find it hard to believe there was a better team in the country than Miami that season. I have never seen a Division I-A football team as utterly humiliated by an opponent before or since like Texas was that day.

As Randall Hill pointed out in the 30/30 show on the U, if not for the 200+ yards in penalties the Canes may very well have scored 90 points that day.

Just an absolute ass-kicking from the moment the teams came down the tunnel.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Were Miami's two losses to Notre Dame and FSU or was Washington one of them?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

At BYU and Notre Dame. Yes, that awesome Miami team somehow lost at BYU, the game put Ty Detmer in position to win the Heisman that year. Minus those two games, however, that 90 Miami team was awesome, they would've mauled either Colorado or Ga Tech.

Draft saved Draft deleted