1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the worse loss?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 5, 2008.

?

The Yankees losing Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS to blow a 3-0 lead, or the Patriots losing to the Giants

1. Yankees in 2004

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Patriots in 2008

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Game 6 of the '86 Series was infinitely worse. The Giants did a lot to win Super Bowl 42. The Mets didn't win Game 6 nearly as much as the Sox lost it.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

But NOTHING was decided by its outcome.

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I'll vote for neither. There was no worse loss in the history of sports than the Soviet Union, probably the greatest professional hockey team ever, losing to a bunch of college kids at Lake Placid in 1980. Not exactly the kind of loss to have to head back to a communist country and explain. There was a lot of joking at the time that Viktor Tikhonov, the coach of the Soviets, might be sent to a Siberian brig. Except that it wasn't joking -- considering that he pulled the world's greatest goalie -- Tretiak -- during the game in favor of a backup, and the move eventually backfired.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But by your previous logic, what would the first six matter for either series? The Yankees beat the Red Sox by three games to take the East in 2004. So by that measure, the Patriots' loss is much bigger. But baseball and football postseasons are two entirely different beats. I think you've got to take the entire series if you want to make this into an objective discussion.

I voted for the Yankees because a 3-0 series lead had never been overcome in baseball, and the Yankees destroyed Boston in the third game, 19-6. For Boston to edge its way back into the series and then club New York in Game 7 was monumental. Take away the histories of each team, and you've still got an epic collapse. That trumps the Patriots' loss, in my opinion.

5. Simon_Cowbell

One baseball game, where a loss puts you into all-time infamy.
    One football game, where a loss prevents the only 19-0 season, and a fourth Lombardi Trophy.

1986 Game 6 decided nothing, except that there would be a Game 7.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If it's just one game, I'd go with the Super Bowl. But I don't think any postseason baseball series should be measured on anything less than the entire series.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, other than Game 6.

8. Simon_Cowbell

OK. You may very well be right.

But, ultimately, that baseball series came down to the same parameters as an NFL title game.

One game and done.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree with that 100 percent.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't want to threadjack this but Tretiak was NEVER the world's greatest goalie. Ever.

And as far as this thread goes, the Yankees, hands down.

I'd be willing to throw in game Six. If you've watched it, you realise how many times the Red Sox could not put that game away, beginning with Schiarldi's giant choke.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Still.... that was only a penultimate game and only for a World Series, not for immortality.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It was only the penultimate game because Boston was given every chance to win the game but couldn't put it away.

Schiraldi choked, a deer in the headlights choke.

Bob Stanley couldn't find the plate with both hands

Rich Gedman let the Mookie Wilson ball get by him. Sorry, that was NOT a wild pitch.

Buckner. The undeserved goat.

Nine times (I believe that's correct) they had a two strike, two out count to end the game and win the Series. Couldn't do it.

Sorry, but I've watched the last two innings of that game over and over again and as they say, it never loses anything in the retelling.

But, since the poll is Yanks versus Pats, I'll go Yanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted