1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Progressive CBE Classic?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Nov 13, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wow, this tournament...or showcase...or whatever it is, is just PR spin all the way.

So, only Cal, Mizzo, ND or Georgia can be named the "tourney" champ despite the fact that 8 other teams are in it?

Can someone explain this hot mess?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Coaches vs. Cancer is the same thing. St. John's, Arizona, A&M and Miss. State will play at the Garden regardless of upsets because they want the name teams in it and not Gardner Webb or Akron who nobody cares about.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The Maui Invitational has been expanded in the same manner. Kansas' game with Towson Friday night was a "first-round game", if I recall correctly. Everyone knows Lawrence for its seaside breezes and palm trees, right?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Preseason NIT is using a different format too. Two games on a campus site, with winner at each site advancing.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NIT has done that for a couple of years.

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

Those four teams auto advance to the Sprint Center in KC the Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving. The College Basketball Hall of Fame ceremony is on Sunday night before the games.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And now you knowwwww ... how much I follow the NIT!

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the NIT is the last tournament, though, where someone other than the host can advance to the semifinals. Unless that's changed and I don't realize it. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted