1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the post-game procedure?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I'm wondering how beat reporters go about their post-game quote-collecting and writing. How do the scrums work? Do crowds just gather around the first guys to get out of the shower and be at their lockers? Do you go to stars/key players first? What if you're talking to somebody else and the crowd gathers around the star?

Also, how much time do you spend in each locker room? And how, physically, do you ensure you don't miss the key guys on one side while you're talking to those on the other?

Sorry for the barrage...I've never done it, obviously, and I'm curious.

2. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

As far as baseball goes, you usually start with the manager, whether it's a press conference or something informal in his office. Then you go directly to the starting pitcher, if he's ready. Then you try to get the other key guys.
    If you're talking to someone alone after a game and others come up, tough luck. All is fair following games. Everyone is on deadline and you can't expect to have one-on-ones.
    You need to keep your head on a swivel and make sure guys don't get away you need to talk to. If you're talking to the starting pitcher and you see the guy who hit a 3-run homer leaving, you should make a bee line for him. Usually, the players move slow enough that you don't have a hard time getting everyone you need.

3. happygirl

happygirl Member

Lots of variables here. Depends on the sport. Coach is usually made available first, but not always. Some players talk before showering, some after, some after getting dressed. Scrums always form around stars. Always good idea to find a player who's not involved in a scrum. They know the drill. They know you want to ask them questions. Sometimes a key player is only available for a short time, so you have to join the scrum. The time you spend there depends on what you need and your deadline. I often skip the opponent's locker room because I can't physically be in two places. I figure readers care more about their own team. Of course, that also depends on the circumstances. You always try to seek out a Shaq or a Tom Brady. I know some people hate to hear this, but if I'm desperate I'll use a quote sheet for the other team if there's anything halfway decent. Like I said, there's a whole lotta variables. It actually takes some practice, but no two locker room visits are ever the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted