1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the pecking order for NFL franchises?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 28, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

JMO, but the Pats don't nearly have that douche factor that teams like the Red Sox do. Not even close.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Belichick is a bigger douche than all of Red Sox Nation combined.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the question was posed as to what is going on today. Sure people remember some of the great teams of the past, but giving a franchise "credit" for what might have been done under a different coach, owner or roster - or knocking them for what wasn't done, makes no sense.
    Hell about the only thing some of these teams have in common with the great teams of their past is a zip code and a uniform. (In some cases, not even that).

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, I hate Belichick, and I wouldn't even go that far.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ancient history doesn't matter to this particular rating.

Giants: Four Super Bowl appearances, three wins.
    Bears: Two Super Bowl appearances, one win that fans still skate on as if it were 10 wins.

NFL trivia: From 1980-1989, who is the only Super Bowl winner that didn't make it back within five years? Hell, within 20 years?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does he wear a pink hat, have a loud, obnoxious personality and throw up in every ballpark like Red Sox Nation?

No, he wears an ugly hoodie, broke up a marriage, skirts the rules a bit, and consistently produces the best NFL team.

Red Sox Nation are the biggest douchebags on the planet.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

None of those guys would have been interested in a ring had White not blazed the trail. There's no way the Packers get Keith Jackson, Sean Jones, et al, with just Favre in place.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What was the bigger deal with White's signing - his talent or the fact that a great black player chose to go to Green Bay? Didn't it have the reputation of the Salt Lake City of the NFL? Players just didn't think they would be as comfortable there as they might be elsewhere?

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Probably both. Green Bay/Appleton has become a bit more diversified in the the past 20 years, but back then small things like getting a haircut were tough ... I think the Packers used to bring a barber up from Milwaukee to give haircuts.

I still remember the bush-league piece ESPN did on the Green Bay culture as the Packers were making the run to Super Bowl XXXI. They talked to a couple AquaNet enfused hairdressers in a mall, and asked if those men (three African-Americans) were Packers. They of course said yes (they weren't). Then Sterling Sharpe, a man who did nothing to endear himself to the community that welcomed him with open arms, goes on to say in the piece that he was perceived in Green Bay as a "n-word".

A few days later, Jim Rome did a live remote in Green Bay and had Sean Jones on as a guest. Rome asked Jones about the piece, the GB culture, and Sharpe's comments. Jones says something to this extent (nothing was bleeped out): "If you're an asshole, and talk like asshole, bottom line is you're perceived as an asshole."

Crowd erupts in cheers.

10. Mizzougrad96

Haven't the Eagles missed the playoffs once in the last 10 years? I know they haven't won a Super Bowl, but that's still pretty damn good.

11. Mizzougrad96

I fucking hate the Eagles, so I can't believe I'm defending them, but with NFL parity where it is, the Eagles have had a hell of a run. Now that they don't have Donovan to vomit in the huddle maybe this is finally their year. :D

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Erratic, skiinflint management will do that.

Then, they pony up for Dr. Peppers, and the lights go on.

Good luck with Eli.

Draft saved Draft deleted