1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the pecking order for NFL franchises?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

In terms of monetary value, as per that AP story before Christmas, the Cowboys are the most valuable franchise.
    But as far how well run they are, here's how they stack up to me...

Rolls Royces
    New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, Chicago, Indianapolis

Mercedes
    New Orleans, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Tennessee, San Diego, New York Jets, NYC Giants, Dallas

Toyota
    Minnesota, Jacksonville, Arizona (up until recently), Seattle, Miami, Denver, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Carolina

Chevy Vega
    Detroit, San Francisco, Oakland, Buffalo, Cleveland, Washington, Houston

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

If I was going by my NY area colored experience, I'd say the Pats are the most hated team of any sports in the world. Everybody around here -- except two Pats fans I know -- hates the Pats and Belicheat.
    Mostly, people are ambivalent about the Stillers...they just think Big Ben is a douchebag.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Patriots belong up there, too. And if you aren't going by your NY-colored experience, I'm not sure exactly what you are going by. Been taking nationwide polls in your spare time? :)

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

From 1980 till now, IMHO:

Gold
    Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, Bears, Packers, 49ers

Silver
    Jets, Bills, Browns, Ravens, Colts, Titans, Texans, Jags, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Rams, Seahawks

Bronze
    Bengals, Lions, Cardinals

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

This week's spnited most-hated poll showed fewer than 10% of national respondents (outside of Pittsburgh) give a shit about the Stillers but 70% think Ben is a douchebag.
    This of course is a very unscientific survey ;D

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Only 70% think Roethlisberger is a douchebag? That's way too low. Your poll is a failure!

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Gold = multiple Super Bowls
    Silver = Super Bowl
    Bronze = Conference Championship(s)

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bears . . . nine world championships.

Giants . . . fewer.

Too bad.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I look at it differently: If you're a coach/GM are there franchises that are career-killers if you fail? Or, are there franchises where you can fail, and still have a good career?

Mike Sherman is a good example. He gets incredible control with the Packers, but does a terrible job and gets canned. It kills his NFL marketability. Meanwhile, John Fox is off a couple of brutal years in Carolina. But, because the Panthers are not considered a great organization, Fox will have no problem getting a job once he's gone. Marty Mornhinweg could really test that theory if he gets another chance.

We've never seen an example of it in my lifetime, but if the Steelers fired anybody who was a short-term failure, that person would have a difficult task finding another head job, I'd think.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First 43 years of league's existence, of which the Giants weren't around for the first five and with the exception of a few years, there was roughly 10-12 teams in the league: Bears 8 titles, Giants 4.

Last 46 years of league's existence, in which 40 of the years had at least 26 franchises: Giants 3 titles, Bears 1.

So it's 9-7 Bears, and they won their first title in 1921 when the Giants didn't exist, and the majority of their titles were in the pre-modern era.

I'd say it's roughly even.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Steelers are an all-timer. One 5-11 season in the last 40 years, two 6-10s and that's as bad as they have been.

Last 15 years: Patriots, Colts, Ravens, Packers, Eagles
    Knocking on the door: Chargers, Giants.
    NFL Films Award for enduring mythical "greatness:" Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins.
    They had their time division: Bills, Bears, 49ers, Redskins, Broncos.

And everybody else.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So next time we won't survey the sexual offenders ward at Rahway (aka East Jersey State Prison).

Draft saved Draft deleted